Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:07 PM   #1

Default Workplace comparison

I've had a D7 (now with upgrade) since they first came out. I love it to bits and the guys at work have given me a hard time for rabbitting on about it. Now they have got the bug as well. Two weeks ago, one bought a Fuji 602Z, last week another bought a brand spanking new Sony 717. Lots of playing. Now another guy wants to see how they compare, so today we take them in and show them to him. On form factor alone he went straight for the D7, with the manual zoom as a plus point. Sony's EVF was the best, but a D7i's is probably as good. Fuji is more like a toy by comparison with the D7. Sony feels great but is way too small in the right hand.

I think he'll end up with the D7i, as will another of the guys who is already sneaking into camera shops. Luckily where we live there is one of the UK's premier digital-only camera shops and they let you try before you buy (Digital Depot). I know that just on feel alone I would still go for a D7 derivative (D7Hi perferably), then throw in the superb lens, natural colour and all the controls. BTW, Sony's screen shows way too red.

Regards,

Dave
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:59 PM   #2

:?: No one got a Nikon ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 2:37 AM   #3

No-one has bought a Nikon 5700 yet, probably out of the price range, plus it's not as versatile as you would think. The main drawback is the lack of threaded lens, so attaching accessories is limited, unless you want to pay Nikon UK prices for their dedicated adaptors. Then there's the electric zoom: Minolts jumped the right way with a manual zoom.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 7:54 AM   #4
NHL

Think about the poor (& proud) souls that bought the CP5000 for almost the same price barely a few months ago (a D7 could be had for 1/2 that)! This is Nikon marketing at its best leveraging the brand name. It's a price tactic with all models targeting every price segments, until a replacement model come out with better feature, they going to milk the market...

Most buyers will go with Nikon(or Canon) just as an insurance policy since most other brands as well as the digital cameras they are getting are just too unfamiliar... (BTW theses are all good cameras they are just a little more pricey with somewhat less features)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:15 AM   #5

brand recognition is 60% of the war for most of the consumers $$$. the rest is ergonomics (unfortunately that is mostly looks today) and then performance.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 7:22 PM   #6

Thes sales staff at the camera store I frequent up here in Canada (a leading national chain) is ALWAYS pushing NIKON. NIKON.NIKON.
Last November they sold me on the CP995. I was an easy sale since I had no experience with digicams or photography in general. This time, when I insisted on looking at the D7Hi, they again tried to steer me towards the 5700. They were very persistent about it. One has to wonder what their true motivation is for doing this. Bigger sales incentives, perhaps?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:14 PM   #7

When I shop for my 5 Mpix camera, I had the same remarks from a big store, I tried both D7 and CP5k anyway . But then I ordered my D7 at a small store near my work place which give me excellent service , despite it cost me a lil bit more. I think sometimes, beginner sales people don't know that much about cameras and take the sure bet to recommend Nikon, they think they have no chance to be wrong , he he .
But I still believe that my CP950 was an excellent choice back that time.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 5:23 AM   #8
NHL

I posted a lenghty remark on the old forum regarding this subject after overhearing a sale clerk @ a local store and decide to check several out for myself!

This is really happening folks check it out! Every store still call the D7's, even the D7i, a battery sucking pig (even though dpReview has now confirmed that it's better than the 5700). There's also the Minolta has still not perfected this camera yet since it's very sophisticated and full of bugs line (ie the sale clerk doesn't know how to use it)... And the always famous phrase: that's what the 'pro' use!

IMHO there's must be a bigger commission on the Nikon's since the camera cost more and the filter/filter adapter is an easy sell, and no one will find this device unless in a specialized shop (or mail order, but then this customer is not going to the store already!)... Then there's that's extra EN-EL1 that any serious digicam user will need, unless of course the sale person can also push for the battery grip (with another healthy margin). Don't forget the attachment lenses, I bet everyone they move a lot of Nikon's wide angle adapter as well... (it used to be the long ones on the CP9xx!)

How could they make the same money on a cheaper (and more featured) D7's when their customer can run to any Walmart and get the battery for only 12 bucks and re-use some of their older filters?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:02 PM   #9

And despite the Nikon hype, they use the same ccd as the 7i.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 2:13 PM   #10

I think the sales pitch bit is realistic. Nikon is a big company with a huge range of products and they can afford good incentives. Plus you've got to buy loads of bits just to get the camera CP5700 into a reasonably good state.

Minolta by comparison is a small concern. The D7 is ready to go, just add batteries and a filter on the front. Try sticking one on a 5700.

All the "other" camera owners think they have the best, but we D7 users KNOW we have the best.