Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:16 PM   #1

Hi! I'm owner of Dimage F200 and looking to upgrade it for Z3, although I've read a lot of reviews that it's low light performance is very poor and images have a lot of noise in them. I would appreciate if people using this camera would provide some feedback about this issue and if possible post some night shots, as I couldn't find a lot of samples, or they wasn't large enough to judge about noise and sharpness.
Thanks in advance!
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:05 AM   #2

Take a look here
http://melena.homeip.net/z3pics/Z3noise
freubelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:29 AM   #3

thanks freubelaar! I'm downloading photos right now to see how much noise is there. I'm a bit afraid of it after reivews I've seen especially as I've used to have pretty low noise with my F200, so I wish to be sure that if I decide to buy Z3 it wouldn't be downgrade of image quality.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Hi Sensovision ! Didn't see you on this web for a long time ! By the way, if you want to buy a long zoom digicams, I am sure Panasonic FZ20 is a better choice !
gapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

Hi gapman! it's really nice to see you indeed I didn't visit web a lot some time as had major family troubles, I even stop visiting my own forums for some time, but now things become a bit better and I try to back to my hobbies.
Thanks for your advice, I've already look for Panasonic FZ series during last month and really like their quality but not the price...
e.g. FZ10 cost here 640 USD(can't even imagine what FZ20 would cost, I didn't find any shop selling it yet) and I've found Z3 for 480USD. Also my main reason for switching from F200(probably I'll still use it as my beach and travel camera) wasn't long zoom, as it's nice feature but I a bit tired from power hungry of f200 and it's slow lens, during the time I'm using it I've missed a lot of great shots because of this
I also like a lot image stablization system, and got impression that although Z3 have more noise than other cameras it's stabilization system works a bit better than on Panasonic.
Also size of Panasonic is really big which isn't good for me as I wish less or more portable camera.
BTW what camera are you using right now?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:31 PM   #6

Just spent about an hour with a professional photographer, he went with me as I looked at cameras. I have been looking at two, Fujifilm s5100 and the Z3. Here is what the pro said about the reviews on picture quailty.

First off..... a digital photo viewed on a computer screen is only as good as the monitor and computer are able to reproduce.

Second... an ink jet, color laser, or home photo printer has the ability to only reproduce what the computer sends it and then neither of the above printers are going to print out a picture the same way. His favorite developers machine cost over a million dollars... (my hp ink jet didn't cost that much for sure)

Third.... most amatures and novice will never see all the features of a photograph and some pros never see it the same way twice.

Fourth.... in regards to vignetting, soft colors and some noisy pictures... hasn't anyone used a photo inhancing software?? Ever heard of "cropping"?

Well... the above words were quoted from a pro, they are not my words but I think everyone should enjoy digital photograph no matter what camera you have, just think about how many rolls of developed film is piled in an attic that you keep telling yourself you are going to go through it and throw out the bad ones. Yeah... right!!! I got some swamp land I'll sell you too... hehehe

Oh by the way.... the pro chose the Z3.... by far a superior camera to the Fujifilm s5100. The anti shake is a steal at that price. He said it would pay for itself in just a few precious photos saved. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it.

robwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:19 AM   #7

Thanks Robwmc's idea ! Sensovision, I think if the budget is the major concern for you, then I also suggest you to consider Z3 instead of FZ20 ! In Hong Kong, most people choosing Z3 because of it's low price and anti-shake CCD functions ! But if you want to save more, try to consider Z10 as well ! It is a really really low price long zoom DC but produce really good photos ! In Hong Kong, this Z10 is still not available but I believe it will be cheap !

Enjoy !!!!

:roll:
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:14 AM   #8

Haven't you seen Frederick's great albums yet? He is a well-known Z3 fan in the forums, has his own review of Z3 and very convincing shots. He made me partly buy my Z3 ) (But still wait a friend of mine to bring it to me from USA - much cheaper)

Look at them:
http://imageevent.com/microsaft/
http://www.silverforsa.com/z3/index.htm
Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:58 PM   #9

gapman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Robwmc's idea ! Sensovision, I think if the budget is the major concern for you, then I also suggest you to consider Z3 instead of FZ20 ! In Hong Kong, most people choosing Z3 because of it's low price and anti-shake CCD functions ! But if you want to save more, try to consider Z10 as well ! It is a really really low price long zoom DC but produce really good photos ! In Hong Kong, this Z10 is still not available but I believe it will be cheap !

Enjoy !!!!

:roll:
Gapman, I really think about getting Z10 too, as it seems to produce better colors than Z3(probably it's white balance more accurate), I also like that it's lens is hidden and never extruded, although thing which stops me is lack of AntiShake and 3megapixel zoom, and just a bit thing that it couldn't record sound(I sometimes use this feature).

hi Broadway! and thanks for posting these links, somehow I've missed http://imageevent.com/microsaft/ gallery, it seems to have really good pictures so I'm downloading them now for later examination.
thanks a lot!
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:07 PM   #10

OIC ! Hope you will find the most suitable DC for yourself and enjoy taking photos !