Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:46 AM   #1

hey folks, lately I've been having some issues with my dimage 7hi and focusing. I've had the camera for a year and have taken some great shots with it but now it seems it takes forever to get the autofocus to work (and nearly impossible when the lens is retracted all the way) and I'm finding the manual focus to be a little hit and miss and not exactly accurate (looks great in the lcd, but blurry when transferred). this makes it hard to shoot "off the cuff" spontaneous shots.I put all the settings on the camera back to auto, but no luck. I'm using sandisk ultra II 512 meg cards and duracell nihm 1600 rechargables if it makes a difference. oh and I have the latest firmware in the camera.

anyone have any ideas on this?

thanks
doug_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:58 AM   #2
Administrator

I have seen owners of this model report that resetting everything back to factory defaults helped Autofocus (even though the settings may already be at factory defaults).

You may want to give it a try. You'll find a menu choice for the reset to defaults under Setup, Advanced 2:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ge7Hi_pg5.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:21 PM   #3

I did that, it didn't work.

tonight i took over 70 photos and none of them are in focus. even when the camera said it was in focus it wasn't. i tried using the manual focus on infinity and that didn't work either.

all of a sudden this camera just seems to not work. it's very frustrating.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:42 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes.. I'd be frustrated, too. Although, it's beginning to sound like it may need a trip to Konica-Minolta for repair or calibration.

BTW, I have heard that sometimes the 7xx models can focus past infinity. So, I wouldn't rely on the infinity mark on the focus ring to be accurate.

How are your shutter speeds (i.e., are you sure it's a focus issue)?

Also, if you've been photographing christmas lights, many models have difficult focusing on them (false focus lock is common --for some reason, christmas lights can fool the autofocus mechanisms in manycameras). So, I'd make sure to test it in good light, with a high contrast subject.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:56 PM   #5

yeah I'm thinking I may have to take it in.

i tried various shutter speeds, it makes no difference. I set everything to auto...and nothing.

last christmas I shot a lot of lights with this camera and they came out great. this has happened in the last couple of months. it's to the point where I'm taking my old canon a10 and shooting the same photos with it so I don't lose the opportunites.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:19 AM   #6

Hi, My 7Hi has recently presented similar problems except they only seem to occur when I use either the pop up flash or my external minolta HS5600D. I purchased my camera approximatley 2 years ago. It would be interesting to know if your camera is of a similar vintage.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:47 PM   #7

I bought mine in december 2003.

I don't generally use the flash so I don't know if it happens then. i've contacted minolta regarding the problem and I'm waiting for a reply.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:43 PM   #8

I too have problems with the auto focus when using flash (which I don't do often). One thing that I some times do (If I am shooting a stationary subject and have plenty of time) is to auto focus on something and them hit the AF/MF button to lock the focus point into MF. Then take a picture and zoom in as far as you can on the image to check your focus. That can get to be a big pain though, because it takes so long:lol:.
One more thing, I have noticed that the DiMAGE cameras that I have used (S414, 7hi, A2) miss during auto focus MUCH more when in complete auto! I had a Dimage S414 that I used in total auto for about 1,000 pictures, and it missed AF on many many occasions (almost 1 in 10 were bad as a result of missed AF) I then operated the camera in total manual mode for about 8,000 shots, using AF about 90% of the time, and MF some as well, and I bet there is about 10 shots total in there that are blurred as a result of missed AF. I had a very similar result with an A2 from using auto, I then went to manual mode, and the AF works well.
Hope that helps some,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:46 PM   #9

doug_j wrote:
Quote:
I bought mine in december 2003.

I don't generally use the flash so I don't know if it happens then. i've contacted minolta regarding the problem and I'm waiting for a reply.
I had a DiMAGE 7hi that had to go in for repairs (broken DE dial) and it went through Mack warrenty service. BIG MISTAKE!!! the camera was sent in in late July, and came back in mid December :S. I am sure if you are just dealing with KM directly however, it should go quickly.
Hope that helps,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:05 PM   #10

well I heard back from minolta and they said to send the camera to them, as it's not a settings issue. gonna be weird not having my camera around. hope it goes fast.