Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:18 PM   #1

I am planning on buying a Minolta A1. I heard some people have vignetting problems with 49mm filters.

I am looking for the cheapest and most practical solution. Should I buy an expensive thin 49mm polarizing filter or buy a step up to 62mm and buy a regular polarizing filter.

Also whichfilters are recommended?? Is Tokina a good brand?

thanks everybody
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:38 PM   #2

Hi there,

I use some old 58 filters from my analogue times with a Heliopan stepup. No viginetting - even with the pol or with close-up lenses.

ciao, wolfie:bye:
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:35 PM   #3

You won't be able to use the A1 lens hood with a larger diameter filter and step-up ring.

The lens hood is a very important accessory for controlling lens flare from stray light entering the lens at off-axis angles. If you choose to go with the larger [62mm] filter, I would stronly encourage you to buy a suitable lens hood for that size filter.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:18 PM   #4

Hi jawz,

essentially your´re right, of course. But how do you use a pol with the lenshood?:?

Greetings from Bavaria,

Wolfie:-)
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

wolfie wrote:
Quote:
Hi jawz,
essentially your´re right, of course. But how do you use a pol with the lenshood?:?

Greetings from Bavaria,
Wolfie:-)
I use 49mm filters without any problems at all. The filter screws into inner threads on the lens. The lens hood attaches to outer threads on the lens.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:31 PM   #6

As Kalypso said, a good quality [ thin ] 49mm filter works just fine. Even some of the cheaper, thicker polarizers will only vignette slightly between 28-35mm.

I have noted in another forum that some Ax owners who use a larger filter and step-up ring have found suitable flexible rubber lens hoods. This type of lens hood fit on the filter [and or step-up ring] and is held on by friction.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:33 PM   #7

Hi there,

I just wondered... because with my thick fingers there´s no way to get between the original KM lens-hood and the filter to turn the polarizer to maximum effect. My pol has a little handle, too which would get in the way...don´t know if this is true for all pols.

ciao, Wolfie
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:47 AM   #8

I was wondering about that too Wolfie. It seems it would be hard to turn the polarizer with the hood on
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote