Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:52 PM   #1

What is the best all around setup the sharpest pictures? Auotmatic?

I use Program and try to stay 100ASA or less.

Haven't figured out what's the best meter modeor focus mode,

although, I think Flex Focus Point is probably the best.

Multi-segment metering may be the best all-around meter setting, while spot may work well for backlite our special lighting situations.

A few of my shots seem softly focused.

Bill

BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2

BillS22 wrote:
Quote:
What is the best all around setup the sharpest pictures? Auotmatic?

I use Program and try to stay 100ASA or less.

Haven't figured out what's the best meter mode or focus mode,

although, I think Flex Focus Point is probably the best.

Multi-segment metering may be the best all-around meter setting, while spot may work well for backlite our special lighting situations.

A few of my shots seem softly focused.

Bill
When I am shooting models, I use a custom setting that is set up to shoot RAW, AdobeRGB, Contrast at lowest setting, Sharpness at low. I always shoot in manual mode (so the metering is done by me, not the camera. I always use the flex focus point & focus on the closest eye.

When I am shooting something that I don't want to post process much, I use another custom setting. It is set up for the highest quality jpeg, sharpness normal, contrast normal, Adobe RGB & vivid color. I still shoot in manual (unless I am giving the camera to somebody else, then I set it to program mode & matrix metering). The camera is always locked on ISA 100 too.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

I have an A1, but most of the settings I prefer also apply to the A2 as well.

Aperture priority : f5.6 --argueably the 'sweet spot' of the GT lens
Sharpening : soft --supposedly = no in-camera sharpening
contrast : normal
Color space : sRGB
ISO : 100 --lowest available on A1; s/b =64 on A2
Flex FFP : ON --usually use matrix metering, but have spot metering programmed to activate with AEL button

Live histogram : ON --heavily relied on
WB : <mostly use preset values, never auto, under certain tricky lighting conditions I use 'custom'>

I also use full manual, under some conditons, for exposure and focus......but isn't that the really neat thing about the Ax cameras -- that you get the choice to select whatever suits your needs and or circumstances!!
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:47 AM   #4

Thanks Jawz.

>Live histogram : ON --heavily relied on
Where can I read up on Histograms? I wouldn't know a good histogram.

>I also use full manual, under some conditions, for exposure and focus......but isn't that the really neat thing about the Ax cameras -- that you get the choice to select whatever suits your needs and or circumstances!!

How do you determine proper shutter speed and aperture? Trial and error? In my old film days I'd use a hand held meter. After awhile Icould guess theright settings.

I guess with digital you can experiment all you like.... no processing fees. Is that how it's done? learn your camera by trial and error?

BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:06 AM   #5

BillS22-

here is a link to the 'classical' intro to histograms:
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...stograms.shtml

As to the use of Manual mode(s), the good ol' Mark I eyeball can be used to judge focus and exposure, so it's not really trial and error.

The EVF display [with magnifyer] lets you do a good job of focusing if there is sufficient light for you to see, else you can use open loop focusing by using the distance scale and estimating the distance to your subject. As to manual exposure, the rules that you learned for film photography still apply [e.g., sunny-16, etc.] and of course, you can still use your Luna Pro light meter or Seikonic spot meter for providing you with the proper exposure settings. In addition, the live histogram is operable in manual exposure mode to give you gross hints about blown highlights and lost shadow detail. Most of all, again, the old Mark I eyeball can do a good job of judging exposure by looking at the subject in th eEVF while changing the aperture or shutter settings.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote