Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1

Can provide any tips to take gd pics with KM Z3?

e.g. Under low light condition etc

Btw, how come some of my pics turn out blurry :?
Marozai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:10 PM   #2

hi Marozai, seems that none of Z3 owners wish to help you out, so I would try. I just need to warn you that I don't own Z3 yet but explore it's possibilites in online reviews and checking photo galleries. I'm owner of Minolta F200 camera so I don't guarantee that my tips would be helpful for you, but I would try to post in general things I've learned from taking night shots on cameras I've been used in the past.
You've mentioned that your pictures come out blurry, I think it's because you or camera using slow shutter speed, although Z3 is equipped with the AntiShake system which should help to use camera on lower shutter speeds, although from reading reviews I've got feeling that it become ineffective on shutter speeds lower than 1/50. So if you wish to use slower shutter speed e.g. for making photo of the night city, you have to use tripod or if you don't have one try to put camera on solid surface when it's taking picture. Also there could be issues with focusing in low light on my Dimage F200 I have to use manual focus control, as automatic ones usually didn't find enough light to focus the camera(I'm mostly talking about night city photos). Although in the case with Z3 this method may not work as good as with my camera, I assume this bevause of this words
" Worth noting, we observed that with a distant subject such as this the AF produces a sharper image than the Manual focus mode setting of infinity." this phrase could be found right on the bottom of this page:
http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs_...3/z3-samp.html

Also if I've misunderstood you, and your main aim is to take pictures of people indoor and not night landscapes maybe try to use buil-in flash it should help you to make photos with shutter speeds around 1/300 - 1/200 (depending from aperture and ISO settings you're using).

Also I've got impression that Z3 tend to overexposure pictures in automatic mode, so maybe this tip would be helpful for you as well:
" For best newbie results for digital cameras and the Z3.

Try using P-mode, spot metering, single focus, Anti Shake for Exp only,
and Iso 50. For indoor shots capturing motion, boost Iso to 200 or 400.
The LCD display is very honest. Look at it and adjust exposure accordingly.
When shooting dark objects, first aim at the skies and half press the trigger
to get less exposed images and then frame the shots like you want them.

Digital cameras tend to overexpose when you aim at dark objects, creating white skies. All cameras do this... even expensive SLRs. A good photographer knows his camera and knows how to quickly get the best results.
"
it could be found on this page: http://www.silverforsa.com/z3/index.htm

Hope things I've wrote would help you a bit, maybe some users of Z3 would be able to share their experience as well. BTW if you show me your photos with EXIF data, probably I would be able to give more help.
Good luck!
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:01 AM   #3

Thanks for ur help. Here are some pics:

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:59 PM   #4

you're welcome Marozai, and thanks for posting pictures, from them I could assume that you know all the thing I've post above as pictures looks well
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:30 AM   #5

Thanks a lot :-)
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:45 AM   #6

Hi

I've just posted a query on blurred images. This is a problem for me as I'm using the Z3 camera for sports photos in continuous shooting mode.

The auto settings seem to set the shutter speed too low for action shots, even on "Sports". I have tried the S setting and used a faster shutter speed but then got a system error message

I have now tried installing the latest firmware from KM as this may address the problems above but haven't had chance to test it again.
Fossie is offline   Reply With Quote