Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:13 AM   #1

So far I like the camera. I had some trouble with a kingmax SD card but returned it. Here are a few quick shots in the house. The auto focus really is fast...much faster than my Fuji S5000. I will try and get some shots this weekend in Austin and post them Monday.

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:11 AM   #2

Goofas, thanks for posting your impressions and shots about camera, I'll be looking forward for more pictures if possible outdoors or lowlight ones :roll:
BTW do you find AntiShake system effective?
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:38 AM   #3

Hi, I've had a Z3 for 1 month. I'm pleased with it overall, the zoom is great for sports photos.

However, I'm having problems with the "Sport" setting and the "S" setting (to manually set the shutter speed).

The Sport setting seems to set the shutter speed too slow - 1/40 or less and the images are blurred as a result. If I try to use the manual shutter setting and increase speed to 1/500 or similar then the viewfinder gets very dark - difficult to see the image.

I have upgraded the firmware.:?
Fossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:12 AM   #4

hi Fossie! I have just place an order for Z3 and waiting for it to arrive, and once I get my hands on it I would be able to give you more info on this subject. But from my past expericne I could assume that it's normal way of functioning, you probably place where you try to take picture is too dark, and maybe you have to use additional lightening or higher ISO...
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:53 AM   #5
Administrator

A camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure, otherwise, you'll get underexposed photos.

The shutter speed you can use will depend on lighting conditions, ISO speed and aperture.

In lower light, the camera's autoexposure is going to use the largest available aperture (represented by the smallest f/stop number) anyway. So, sports mode probably won't help anything if light is lower.

You'll need to increase ISO speed in these conditions to get faster shutter speeds (which will increase noise). If you don't use as much zoom, this can help. With your Z3, the lens is more than twice as bright at it's wide angle lens setting (allowing faster shutter speeds), versus full zoom (it's maximum aperture is f/2.8 at wide angle,stopping down as more zoom is used tof/4.5 at full zoom).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:23 AM   #6

Thanks JimC and Sensovision. The factors you've identified may be the problem - I do use it on high zoom.

I'll try a faster ISO setting.

If I am using the camera for rugby matches i.e. outside but maybe slightly dull light, so you have any suggestions for what shutter speed i could get away with?
Fossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Well, the faster the better to help prevent motion blur from subject movement. Typically you want 1/250 or faster, but many users get an acceptable number of keepers at 1/125. But, this is often not possible if light is very low. So, a slower shutter speed can be used (but expect some photos with motion blur during rapid subject movement).

I've seen some "keepers" from much slower shutter speeds (i.e., well under 1/100 second, depending on the amount of the frame your subject occupies and how much it's moving). You'll need to balance the need for faster shutter speeds with the amount of noise you get shooting at higher ISO speeds.

You'll probably find ISO 400 to have unacceptable noise levels, depending on the prints sizes you need. So, I wouldn't use it unless you have to (but you may have to if the camera was already using ISO 200, and you're still getting motion blur).

Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast.

There are some good products to help reduce the appearance of noise when higher ISO speeds are needed. Noiseware isn't bad (and they have a free version of it). You can download it from http://www.imagenomic.com. I'd start out with the defaults, then try increasingit's sharpening setting a little bit (but not too much).

Make sure you're not using any kind of filter that's reducing light levels, too (for example,a Polarizer typically reduces light levels by about 1 stop, requiring shutter speeds twice as long).

Then, I'd shoot in Aperture Priority (Av Mode), selecting the largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number) and your camera will automatically use the fastest possible shutter speeds for the lighting condtionsand ISO speed selected, while still insuring proper exposure. Sports Mode is probably doing the same thing.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote