Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Check out this NOISE!!

Does this look like an abnormal level of Noise for the Hi?

Natural Window Light
F 2.8
Shutter Priority @ 1/125 sec
ISO 200
Sharpness: Soft
Minor PS adjustments

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fd1de481.jpg
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:57 PM   #2

have you printed this image?
did you try it in normal?
i guess the monitor i'm using here right now isn't projecting it well because i don't see the noise issue.
try shooting a tiff and then crop and post it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 5:18 PM   #3

Sjms, I shot this "fine" mode and cropped. I realize that all digicams have varying levels of noise. After using a CP995 for a year I've become use to it. But this level of noise in low light conditions seems higher than what I get with the 995
Old Oct 27, 2002, 5:40 PM   #4

Default Looks pretty good

It looks pretty good on the screen. The 7Hi is a higher resolution camera than the 995 right? The photos look noisy on the monitor at high zoom settings. Look at the image at only 1 to 1 how does it look. The photo is somewhat underexposed and this will tend to increase the noise. The proof is truly in the pudding and the print which you get from the image.

Dave
msgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 5:56 PM   #5

Here's another image taken with no flash in low light conditions. This image is full size converted from tiff to jpeg. Any comments on the level of noise ?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/fd1dc860.jpg
Old Oct 27, 2002, 6:04 PM   #6

seems clean here. i like the fingers moving on the left hand as you type. i personally like regular sharpness. print it and see how it comes out.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 7:01 PM   #7

Sjms, I just printed out that shot of my son sitting and typing at the computer. I can see noise, yes, but nothing too serious. I guess the real test for noise will be shooting outdoors, since I rarely use the camera indoors without a flash or plenty of natural light.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 9:37 PM   #8
NHL

Steve Z

msgtb is right, the first picture seems to be underexposed, and corrected in post edit. Also try iso 100 instead of 200. Your shots have much more noise than what I normally see. I took this shot in the middle of the night:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6340887
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 11:13 PM   #9

NHL, that's a great night shot!! You shot that in Night Portrait mode? I should try that. For me, the "Noise" issue is the only thing that bothers me about this camera. Otherwise, I love it. It's everything you said it would be.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:23 AM   #10
NHL

Steve Z

The camera was on manual for that shot (see the EXIF data), Try it! The D7 series is the easiest camera on earth to do this on as "what You See Is What You Get'. I just dialed the shutter & aperture until the overall 'scene lighting' look about right with the D7's EVF, and snapped the picture! I've also captured different searchlights color (red,green, and yellow) and multi beams, but the single blue one looks best like a sword againts the dark sky...

Noises?
http://www.pbase.com/nhl/daynight_comparison

I think it's mostly in your head from reading too many forum postings! All theses cameras, theF707/F717, CP5000/CP5700, D7/D7i/D7hi used the same Sony 5Mp CCD, so they all capture the same shot initially. It all depends on how each camera processes their pictures, and how you set the camera for with the various setting dials.

BTW no in-camera noise reduction algorithm can do a good job as Photoshop afterward... They just strip away the details which is what the Sony is best @ and save you from the Photoshop sessions, but is that what you want? The Minolta will preserve the best details, with the Nikon splitting the differences:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#15542
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote