Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:46 PM   #11
NHL

In my opinion the 'P' mode is fooled by the darker foliage in the background and the tuxs in #1 and #3, but definetly there's too much of both highlight and shadow. ie if the dress comeout OK the bushes will be all black, and if the black level is OK the dress will be white clipped and all washed out.

Is this a dynamic range limitation of the CCD more than anything (the histogram is mostly flat except for the last shot which could have been caught). What was the contrast setting?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:54 PM   #12

:?:
Do you think that in the case of white weeding dress and outdoor pic, it's a better bet to use manual mode?
Can we judge by the EVF or LCD ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:37 PM   #13

Contrast was default setting.

Speaking of dynamic range... CCDs have less than film. The typical eye can resolve about 800 levels of contrast between brightest white and pitch black, film can only detect about 100 levels of difference centered in the middle of the 800. So black on fillm is a distinguishable shade of grey to the eye. CCDs, at least those used in digital camcorders can only resolve 40 levels. Qutie limited compared to the eye.

I don't think that I could make good judgements based on the evf, since I wear glasses and some extraneous light gets on the image I see. Maybe looking at the histogram is the best check for me
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:43 PM   #14

I have had similar problems with my 7i blowing highlights, or so I thought. There is about a +.5 stop difference between the EFV and the LCD. I tried to cure this by using a -.7 stop exp comp and a -.3 flash comp. Looked better in the EFV, but bad on the LCD,monitor and in Print. I usually shoot in A and rarely P but I noticed that in high contrast shots that S and center weighted metering gave better results (if u have enough light!!!) Using the historgram is THE ALL AROUND BEST WAY TO GET GOOD EXP!!! The other post are right. Although I still have to run with -.3,-.7 flash with ADI. Hope this helps, I'm still playing.......
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:29 PM   #15

charlibob- don't you use the diopter adjustment on the EVF?

also the ccd on these little darlings reach out quite a bit more than a then a std video in the contrast catagory.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:21 PM   #16

Default Me too- Charlibob!

My problem is (autoexposure?) hunting - with the composition going dark to light maddeningly. Wonder if it's better to turn off AE?
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:50 PM   #17

under this kind of lighting conditon, if i were u, i would use a big reflection board (or white board) to change the contract. i dont think there r any other choices. it is not the camera problem. i guess all the cameras will do the same thing - film or digital.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:18 PM   #18

I'm so far sighted that the diopter adjustment can't begin to compensate.

I tried to find the page comparing contrast ratios, but was unsuccessful. I have asked some posters from a video board if they remember the link. However one search I did today uncovered a post from some techie that said he had computed the ratio on the new Nikon at 50, and I have read that it is the same CCD used in 7xx.

I tried bracketing some test shots this morning and to my surprise found that most of the time half a stop over gave me the best results. I was so sure that it would be the opposite. I still feel that the Olympus is more forgiving in the auto exposure choices it makes. I will make some duplicate shots with each. Both totally default auto, and post the shots if the results are quite noticeably different.

For now, thanks to all who have contributed. I can see I have much to learn about using the 7i.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote