Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:09 AM   #1

Hi

Need to convert the KM video files to AVi to use in a software video editing programme. So am using RAD tools for this conversion, and have normal installation of QUicktime 6. But when trying to convert the files come up with :-

.........."Quicktime was not able to decompress the audio track (error1)
This means either full version of quicktime is not installed, or your input file uses an obscure or broken audio codec. In either case this means that Radtools cannot export the audio in this case. Try downloading and re-installing quicktime and choose full installation.......................

Re-installed quicktime, there was no option for full installation, it just did it all itself. Same problem still occurs

Any ideas anyone ??

Same problem is happening on both my old Z2 files that had the audio/sync problem, and my new Z3 files.

Grateful for any advice or ideas of any other software good for converting.

thanks
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:35 PM   #2

Hi

my Z3 came with a program called Arcsoft VideoImpression2

and this can convert the raw .mov format to AVI and WMV

it is very easy to use aswell

http://www.arcsoft.com/en/press/videoimpression2/

HTH
RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

I didn't think of looking at the software that came with it, derrr...!

Thanks, I'll try it now

kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:28 PM   #4

I think you guys need to do some research on dvdrhelp.com. An AVI file is just another "wrapper" like .mov, and converting one to the other is only adding another potential layer of compression or decompression artifacts and synch problems.

I tried using Video Impressions BTW, and found it useless on my Z2 files. I have had a lot more success authoring the .mov files in Ulead Video Studio, and burning the resultant output to DVD (or VCD if you lack a DVD burner, but have one for CDs).

The key component of the .mov, as I understand it, is the MPEG component within it. ULead takes this out and converts it directly to the required ISO format for the DVD (at least I think that is how it works). I am open to contradiction here (not being any kind of an expert), but I do know that an AVI file is a redundant middle step. You need to get the mpeg and audio elements out of the .mov 'wrapper' and into a more usable form for playback on your computer CDROM or DVD player.

Another really useful site for learning about this stuff is LordSmurf.com. Really funny name, but the guy has an amazing knowledge base, and a good way of teaching it. I learned a lot from both sites, and am still learning.

Good luck to all!
wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:57 AM   #5

the only reason i convert mov to wmv is nearly everyone has windows movie player

as it is default with me / xp / 2000 and a lot of peopel dont like installing players for .mov format

VideoImpressions2 is excellent here, fast and easy to use and at the moment the only

editor that doesnt jerk and mess around lol
RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote