Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:37 AM   #51

Hi,

I'm not (yet...) a A200 user but I've read a lot about this camera and found out that there is a possibility to change the sharpnes from the settings withIN the camera.
Isn't it more accurate to do so in stead of changing this afterwards in the application ?

I like the features of this camera very much, but I was a little bit disappointed about the image quality I've read about in this forum !

Is it really that bad ?
I can't image KM will introduce a new camera-model with such a disappointing image-quality !

**RobX
**RobX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:09 AM   #52

**RobX wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm not (yet...) a A200 user but I've read a lot about this camera and found out that there is a possibility to change the sharpnes from the settings withIN the camera.
Isn't it more accurate to do so in stead of changing this afterwards in the application ?

I like the features of this camera very much, but I was a little bit disappointed about the image quality I've read about in this forum !

Is it really that bad ?
I can't image KM will introduce a new camera-model with such a disappointing image-quality !

**RobX
Hi Rob:

Most of the reviewers seem to agree that sharpening isbetter done post processing in the computerthanin camera because you have more control. Plus, with the greater processing power of the computer, you could usethird party sharpening plug-ins for Photoshop that are simply amazing.

The KM folks are using less sharpening in their camera jpeg conversions than the competition, so the images will look softer, but will preserve more of the finer detail... that's the theory...It really is a design decision rather than a design flaw.

Most people, myself included,seem to prefer the more sharpened look that you get from cameras made by Canon, Nikon and others.

The only way for you to know if you'll be happy with the A200 is to take some test shots yourself and evaluate them at home on your computer, have a few prints made as well. It will be a good investment of your time. The A200 has three sharpness settings... "soft", "natural" and "hard" Take some pictures at each setting and compare. You should also try the "vivid" colour setting. The default colour setting is extremely accurate, but might look a bit dull becausemost of us are used to seeing more saturated (and less accurate) colours.

Good luck with your decision.

Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:56 PM   #53

Did I say last post - oops!

Taken from Imaging Resource, this portrait shot looks good on the A200
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:10 PM   #54

This one shows the macro capability of the A200 compared with the CP8800.

Not much in it but there's less barrel distortion on the A200 - possibly because it's taken from further back than the CP8800
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:22 PM   #55

I re-sampled the image from outside the church taken from Digital Camera Resource with impressive results for the A200.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:47 PM   #56

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
This one shows the macro capability of the A200 compared with the CP8800.

Not much in it but there's less barrel distortion on the A200 - possibly because it's taken from further back than the CP8800
Hi Catbells! Thanks posting the macro pics.Yes ... barrel distortion on the 8800 imageisquite noticeable!

Also noticeable in the CP8800 image: 1.) The 8800 is closer (or higher zoom), thus allowing to show more fine detail. 2.) More light (stronger flash?) than the other photo,again helping to show a better image.3.) Angle of the light source is lower (see the longer shadow of the coin in the 8800 image), whichmay also contribute to the appearance of a better image (more detail, etc.) for the8800.

IMHO, these two images are not comparing 'apples-with-apples'. Although it may not have beenintentional, the 8800 image appears to have unfair advantages. If conditions were made to be exactly the same in both images, would theA200 show as good, oreven better image than the 8800? Possibly!

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:04 PM   #57

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I re-sampled the image from outside the church taken from Digital Camera Resource with impressive results for the A200.
More image examples from 'Catbells' ... MUCH thanks from us all!

In this case (on my computer monitor) except for the post-processing, the conditions of the two photos appear to be similar (i.e. comparing 'apples-with-apples'), and the A200 image looks to be the better of the two:!:

Dean
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:27 PM   #58

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
"Taken from Imaging Resource, this portrait shot looks good on the A200"
On my monitor, the A200 wins!

Dean
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #59

Final answer ?

I think we'be beaten this topic to death... time to choose... A200, CP8800, G6

I now think that there's no one camera that will satisfy all my needs. So I've decided to go with the Canon G6 as my take anywhere and travel camera. It has the fewest features of these three cameras, andit's not perfect by any means, but it meets most of my requirements with the leastnumberof irritants.... lowest price of the three as well.

I may buy a second camera if I feel limited by the G6, but I'll explore it's capabilities first.

Thanks to all for their constructive comments along the way...

Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:49 PM   #60

Santos,

I think you've made a good choice.

But just one suggestion - buy a small external flash because the G6 is said to have a problem with red-eye.

An external flash, which isn't so close to the lens as the built-in flash, should solve it.

Herb is online now   Reply With Quote