Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:29 PM   #1

im looking for a camera that has upgradeable lens' and takes ABOVE average picture quality.... but other than the picture stuff, the video part is a big decision maker in my purchase...

i havent done much research, but looks like the Z2 is actually better.... I was thinking Z3 would just be the newer/better version....

what do you reccomend?
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:21 PM   #2

well I see that the z2 has 800x600 @ 15fps and 640x480 @ 30 fps. It looks like this is the only camera out able to do 800x600, but trick is it cant do it at 30fps...

so my question is... if something is recorded at 800x600 vs 640x480, the resolution is going to be better, so it will be better "quality"... but whats the difference in 15fps vs 30fps... does that mean if recorded in 15fps, it will "skip" and might actually miss something or what??

Might be a little much to ask, but does anyone acutally have a video of the SAME thing recorded at 15fps vs 30fps to see the difference?

im really leaning towards the Z2 now because of its video capabilities. Its just really convienent for me to be able to snap a video on demand...

I dont know much about cameras... I currently have a Sony DSC-P32 and I think its 3.2 MP and takes pretty decent pictures... how much better is 4.0 vs 3.2?

where does 4.0 MP compare to other cameras... is this considerd "average" "good" or "great"?? like I said, im not expert and dont take many pictures right now, but Im getting really interested and want this to be able to take really nice pictures.... im willing to buy the other lens also... I notice there are wide angle, additional zoom lens, filters, etc that are all available (which I know nothing about and would love someone to explain to me)

thanks guys in advance
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:43 PM   #3

hello 00bolt! I'm owner of Z3 and have did pretty much searches on Z2 and Z3 as well before buying last one. Since you've aksed about video let me tell that I wasn't impressed with 800*600 mode on Z2, I believe that it also takes better pictures in 640*480 or it could be that film wasn't good.

I see main difference in these cameras in following:
Noise level and AntiShake...
Noise is higher on Z3 and it's not a secret for anyone, although if you're not going to use all resolution but view resized pictures (I always did so) they look just perfect(sorry can't provide nightshots right now since we have rainy weather all the time, and I'm a bit reluctant to take my camera out in such weather).
As for AntiShake it's major plus IMHO, it would help you to focus in low light and with full zoom(when I turn it off with full zoom, I hardly can catch something in focus even with the good light so I don't imagine how I could use Z2 without tripod). I've already post some pictures about AS system, if you're interested please check this page:
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...11&forum_id=20

BTW if you read several reviews made by such sites as Dcresource you'll see that they find that Z3 provide superb video quality, you just need to have big SD card, as with highest settings I can record video for about 3 minutes on my 256mb card.

And another thing if I'm not wrong Imaging-Resource provide shutter lag, and focusing time, and some other interesting data, if I'm not wrong Z3 much faster in focusing and shutting.
Good luck and hope my info would be helpful.

PS many folks compare Z3 with Panasonic Lumix FZ20. Here is what I've found, it seems that it has much lower noise in images and provide bigger images which would let you to crop them or print bigger photos, although I've seen pictures which included on the CD of local photo Magazine, there were 3 cameras Sony DSC W12, Z3, FZ20. and after reviewing photos I've come to conclusion that FZ20 has pretty weak Macro abilities and Antishake function work not so effective like in Z3 in the same situation(there was a picture taken in the bar without a flash with shutter speed around 1/10 or less). so shortly saying after reviewing these photos I've conclude that Z3 is camera I was looking for

Z3 has superb macro, it let you come as close as 1-3cm to your object (if my memory doesn't fail me).
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:38 PM   #4

I have a Z2 and shoot about 90% of my video in 800x600. The higher resolution makes a big difference in quality. If there is a lot of action in video I go down to 640 for the higher frame rate. If I am shooting a close-up of a person talkingthe quarter of a second sound lag can be annoying so I fix it with post processing. The big thing missing with the Z2 is of course the antishake. Overall it still holds up. On digitalcamera-hq it is the top rated extended zoom camera. The Z3 comes in 9th.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:14 PM   #5

just remind to myself one thing, if I'm not wrong Z2 doesn't have separate EVF as in Z3 and it just rotate main monitor so you can see it's reflection in viewfinder, and during I've read different reviews and feedback I've spot that this mechanism have high risk to be broken...
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 8:11 PM   #6

there is a list of differences on here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KMZ3/Z3A.HTM
RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote