Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

Hello all,

Just got my A2 2 weeks ago and so far have been very disappointed with it. Most photos I take are soft and/or out of focus. Indoors, it's even worse. No matter what settings I try, I can't seem to get satifactory results. Upgraded to version 1.12 from 1.11 which was supposed to improve flash metering but still bad. I've ruined so many shots on Christmas day because of this.:sad:

Is there really and issue with this particular model? I would like to return this camera or at least have it exchanged. But before I do so would like to hear from anyone here.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all.

Dinky
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

not too happy with my z3 either. I might send back as well.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:06 AM   #3

Unfortunately here where I'm located (Manila, Philippines), it's very hard to return anything at all. The best one can do is have it exchanged and "hunt" for the best one.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4

Dinky wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Just got my A2 2 weeks ago and so far have been very disappointed with it. Most photos I take are soft and/or out of focus. Indoors, it's even worse. No matter what settings I try, I can't seem to get satifactory results. Upgraded to version 1.12 from 1.11 which was supposed to improve flash metering but still bad. I've ruined so many shots on Christmas day because of this.:sad:

Is there really and issue with this particular model? I would like to return this camera or at least have it exchanged. But before I do so would like to hear from anyone here.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all.

Dinky
What modes are you trying to shoot in? Is your cameras switch set to Auto-focus or Manual focus? Is it set to 3-D predictive focus or subject tracking?

An A2 is probably the closest Prosumer digicam with (& sometimes exceeding) the features of a DSLR. While it has some familiar "preset modes", it is not designed to be a point & shoot. Unless you tweak the settings properly, this camera isn't going to act like a point & shoot...it won't sharpen, smooth, enhance contrast, increase saturation, make colors more "vibrant", etc. However, if you know how to use it...it WILL make as good or better images approaching those of a DSLR!

I use the Stored Memory function to set up my A1 with different settings for different situations (Indoor Portraits, Outdoor Portraits, Action Shots, High contrast/colors and one setting just for handing the camera to somebody that just knows how to point it & push the button). I also ALWAYS use the flex focus point to insure I am focusing on exactly what I want.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:45 AM   #5

I use FlexPoint as well. My main complaint is indoor performance. Built in flash is too weak. Picture quality from one shot to the other cannot be relied upon, even if taking photos of the same subject one right after another. I've had experience with Minolta's system of autofocus, being a 10 year user of the Dynax 7xi with the 3500xi flash. I know this is not a point and shoot camera even if set on Auto or P mode.

My brother hasa Nikon Coolpix 5700 and it's so much more predictable to use. Don't know what else to do.:?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:12 PM   #6

Hi there,

just on Cristmas Eve I shot some very nice avaiable light pics with my A2 at our church (very adverse light conditions, shutter speed 1/10 to 1/25 sec at ISO 800). The AF made out quite well - I use the FFP much like I used the split-image with my old MF-SLR´s, always point at an area with good contrast and/or a straight line.

As for the built in flash - imho it´s simply no good (except maybe as fill-in). Get a good extern one and your pics will improve 1000%.

Greetings from Bavaria,

Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:32 PM   #7

I have never used a camera onboard flash for anything other than fill flash in outdoor settings. I have used my A1 & a 7i in close to total darkness & they focused fine in the B&W night mode (that the camera switches to in low light).
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:38 AM   #8

Hi,

If people don't move around much, then one can use available light. But at gatherings, like parties, it's a whole different ball game. Sure you can have people pose for you. But most of the time one wants to shoot casual photos. You are right. The onboard flash is next to useless. But I'd hate to use an external flash because of the extra weight you're carrying around and the bulk. There are times I wish I got a real point and shoot camera (which I might do) if there's no simple thing to do to resolve this. While on the subject of external flash, can the A2 use the focusing light of the Minolta 3600HS(D)? My old Dynax 7xi could do this with the 3500xi flash in total darkness.

Happy New Year to all from the Philippines.

Dinky
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:32 AM   #9

Hello,

@ Kalypso

Your´re right of course, regarding the Ax´s ability to focus in low-light conditions - though it takes it´s time-

@ Dinky

I dont´t think that the built-in flashes of point-and-shoots are any better than the Ax´s - they all move around LZ (what´s that in english?) 10-12, compared to the LZ of 36 up to 70 on good external units.

No, none of the prosumer-cameras use the focussing light on external flashes - that´s impossible (technically, so I´ve been told). One of the members of a German Minolta-Forum has built some LED´s complete with a set of electronics into the battery-grip BP 400. I´ve read that it works quite well.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:55 AM   #10

Hello wolfie,

Wonder why they can't use external focus assist from the flash. My 10 year+ old Dynax 7xi could. It can even focus in total darkness. Who ever said Sony was first to do this?

Can you point me to that forum? Want to see what he did. Might be able to do the same. Thanks.

Dinky