Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:28 AM   #1

I am very disappointed once again with my camera purchase. I have had the Z3 for 3 weeks and not too happy with overall performance. My pictures lack sharpness and detail inside and outside. Indoor shots are dark and grainy with the flash! Focus seems blurry and colors washed out. I guess I will try the Panasonic line next.......should have never sold my out of production S5000!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2

sorry to hear that Goofas :sad:

do you think maybe you are over critical or expecting too much out of a camera in the Z3's price range ?

I have a Z3 but I'm a total newbie and from my eye my Z3's photos look great

but I guess im not as experienced as you.

Good luck & I hope you find something your happy with
RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:27 PM   #3

I'd like to see some of your best shots. I'm not sure if my eyes are going or my monitor? I took some shots today to get developed at the drugstore into 4x6's. I'll compare the prints to my old S5000 prints. If they look good it must be my monitor. If they too are fuzzy it's off to the internet for more research.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:48 PM   #4

I dont have any decent shot's online at the moment Goofus, iv'e only had the Z3

for about a month or so and the last few weeks has been crazy at work and most sundays have been poor weather so i havnt been able to get out much with it.

heres a great Gallery belonging to a member on here

http://www.kcegginton.fotopic.net/c280724.html

all these were taken with a Z3 and look pretty good to me

RC18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:31 PM   #5

Oh well...the Z3 is sold on ebay! Now I will continue to look. To be continued.........
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:11 AM   #6

looking forward to see what camera you choose, and if it wouldbe Panasonic line, to hear your feedback about AS as from the pictures I've got feeling that on the same shutter speeds Panasonic AS less effective than Minolta, and about Macro shots.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:16 PM   #7

I just picked up ten of my best shots taken with the Z3 at Walgreens. They do look good at 4x6 print size. I am happy I sold the camera though. 10 out of 400 shots is not good enough for me. I will be looking at the Coolpix 5700, Sony DSC-F828 or the Digital Rebel. I am leaning towards the 828....I have always been a fan of the 717 and now in love with the 828. I'm a sick person I guess.:cart:
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:01 AM   #8

hi goofas,

I find that you comdamnes a little quickly the z3:evil:

this digicam is appropriate to me perfectly, moreover that made ten years that I make photograph as an informed amateur

if you await great performances from a camera, rather directs you towards a SLR.If you have the budget for that.
bironi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:46 PM   #9

There is no doubt about it - the Z3 is not the world's best camera! There, I've said it - even though I love mine.

Opinions about any camera will depend upon:
a) What type of photographs you take
b) Where you are coming from (experience)
c) What you expect for the price

At one time I would carry about a gadget bag stuffed with lenses, adapters, filters, flashgun, etc. Each of the shots on my site mentioned by RC18T (thank you for the nice words, the cheque's in the post) would, in the past, have been taken with a different configuration. Nowadays, I just want a jack-of-all-trades - but you know what they say about such things: they're a master of none!

The Z3 suits well enough the type of subject I want to use it on, it can do ultra-close-ups, fill the frame with incredibly distant objects (and hold them steady), take shots without being able to make a cup of tea between pressing the shutter release and exposure and it uses batteries that I could buy in almost any shop in emergencies.

... and it does all that at a price I can justify!

However, its lens is not the sharpest, the auto white-balance is somewhat easily fooled and it does have issues with low light situations. These failings may or may not be important depending upon needs.

The Pannys have sharp, fast [f/2.8] Leica lenses but low light shots are best taken with a camera that has a larger CCD and a smaller number of pixels (that's down to physics and technology). They are bulkier and have a slower response but are capable of some stunning shots. Some features (eg manual focus, lcd) are much easier to use others are not.

It's all about horses for courses.

I have a friend who's studied photography at the Paris Photographic Institute, worked as a fashion photographer in Milan, does work for record companies and yet frequently uses a $10 plastic film camera which lets in light because of a broken catch on the back. Sometimes it's more about art than tech spec.

The most important question is: Does the camera let you take the pictures that you see in your head?

I wish Goofas good luck in the quest to find a more suitable camera and would love to hear about the results - and perhaps see some piccies. The rest of us should not be quite so chauvinistic.

/Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:30 PM   #10

You will see some pictures as soon as I decide between the SonyDSC-F828 and the Digital Rebel.