Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 2, 2002, 3:07 PM   #1

Default Filters

What kind of filters should I get for the Minolta 7Hi? I'm thinking about an UV...Sky...and Polarizer filters. Looking at the Hoya brand. Are these a good choice or should I think about different filters or brands. Do I need any filters in the first place? Will he lens cap fit on the camera with a filter?
Thanks for any help!
J S. Lake
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2002, 8:57 PM   #2

Lake,
- First , get a UV filter to protect the lens, IMO that's the minimum you need and a must (it's cheap anyway)
- Choose a thin polarizer to avoid vigneting:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4227
- Yes the lens cap will fit on the filter front thread if you use 49 mm filter ( and not a step up ring)

Also, browse over the lens forum too , there are many threads about filters.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 4:38 AM   #3

Default Re: Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake
What kind of filters should I get for the Minolta 7Hi? I'm thinking about an UV...Sky...and Polarizer filters. Looking at the Hoya brand. Are these a good choice or should I think about different filters or brands. Do I need any filters in the first place? Will he lens cap fit on the camera with a filter?
Thanks for any help!
J S. Lake
I recommend Hoya Pro 1 filters. They have a superb anti-reflective coating. Pro 1 filters are slim, but you can still use the original lens cap with them. Unfortunately they are also expensive.

The most important filter is a simple UV(0) filter. The only purpose of this filter is to protect the lens. If you are lucky, a normal (=not slim) filter will be OK, but your mileage may vary. Choose a slim filter unless you can test the filter on your own camera before you buy it. Some cameras (like my current D7i) are more prone to vignette. In the worst case you can't find a filter which does not vignette at all.

Another popular filter is a polarizing filter. Polarizing filters are always thicker than UV filters and will cause bad vignetting problems unless you choose a slim filter. (However, you are most likely going to see some vignetting even with a slim pol-filter...)

http://www.pbase.com/mbjorkro/filters

You won't need a circular polarizing filter, a cheaper linear will be OK if you can find one (all slim filters I've found have been circular polarizing ones).

A "sky" filter is almost the same as an UV filter, but slightly warmer. You won't need it, because you can always get warmer colors by using a) cloudy WB or b) filter offects of the camera.

Marko
MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 9:47 AM   #4

I just bought a D7Hi and with it, I purchased a Cokin UV filter and an Optemet circular polarizer that causes a wee bit of vignetting at widest angle. I leave the UV on all the (protects the main lense) and remove it only when I'm using the polarizer. I'd recommend both.
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:23 AM   #5

you have the right idea. i use my existing 77mm CP with a stepdown ring. with that siz definately no vignette.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote