Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:54 PM   #11

MictXP wrote:
Quote:

Oh, and just so no one feels a need to enlighten me -- the decisions and criteria that I�ve mentioned are very, very simplified for this post. I just didn�t think anyone would be interested in reading 2 years worth of debating a dSLR vs. prosumer vs. �fun� camera :-)
Nothing is dull reading around here. I'd love to hear your debate.

However, if you've been deciding on what camera to buy for two years now, you've over-researched the whole thing. At that rate, you'll never find the camera you're looking for, because there'll always be something different six months from now. It's time to end the vicious circle, make a decision, and stand by it.

Good luck!
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:30 PM   #12

Haha, I know. I bought my Powerbook 2 days before Apple announced the new line of computers. Do I regret it? Occasionally. The new computers have USB 2.0, something I wish this one had. Would I have changed my decision? I dont know -- I would have had to wait an additional 2 months before getting the computer. At that time, I needed a new computer desperately. And I still love my Powerbook -- theres usually a Firewire option when USB is offered.

And thankfully, it seems that digital cameras are getting better at lasting. The Pro1 (which Ive heard rumors that it has been discontinued) is still competing as one of the top 8 MP cameras. It has been almost a year since that one was announced.

No, the two year wait is not about indecisiveness, not waiting for the perfect camera. Im of the philosophy that the photographer makes the camera fun/useful/take good pictures, not the other way around. I know that if I bought the S1 IS, the Rebel, the Pro1, the Powershot G6, or the A200, I would have had fun with any of those cameras (thats what I want at this point -- something to have fun with). My 4 year old 2MP P&S Fuji 2600 has gotten many miles on it, simply because I like to take pictures with it. When I was using the 20D, I took more pictures than with my Fuji, but that might just be because it was new to me. Of course, it is really fun to shoot an SLR.

But the two year wait is simply about affordability. The camera has always taken the 2nd priority to other things. Thats partly because I havent found a camera that I felt was perfect for me, true. But now the A200 does seem like the perfect camera for me. But again, I know how to make cameras fun, I dont expect the camera to do everything for me. And Ive finally come to a point where my income is greater than my bills.

And to me, there is no such thing as over-research. Its something that I enjoy -- I love always knowing more than employees at camera shops!
MictXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:07 PM   #13

MictXp-

Glad to hear that it's not because of indecisiveness that's preventing you from pulling the trigger. Cash flow is always a concern, for some more than others, but it's a factor none the less. I wouldn't have even considered the A200 if I had to pay the retail store price for it ($843 w/tax, USD.) That's just crazy, I don't care how nice the camera is (and you'd still have to buy a spare battery and a fast memory card if you didn't have one already!)

I'm a big fan of doing research too. It's almost more fun than the actual purchase. However, I have encountered people that allow themselves to be consumed by the research, because as long as they are safely doing research, they never have to feel the sting of making a bad decision, similar to career students who never leave the safety of the college campus to face the real world. I can see you're not one of those people.

However, trumping the store employee with knowledge that he or she should already know does have its satisfaction. But in this age of consumerism, where consumers like us are empowered with knowledge like never before, we find that such displays of bravado just don't have the same meaning they used to (considering how much of a disadvantage today's salespeople are at.)

Happy hunting!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:31 PM   #14

I used the A200 for a short time & while it's a good camera, it's not on par with an A2 or even an A1. It's lacking many of the advanced features that you might not miss...unless you already had used them before. For instance, I was doing a studio shoot with my A1 & switching to the A200 sucked. I couldn't even hook up my lights, no flex-focus point, etc. I had to go outside to shoot this...does it count?

2005:01:06 16:29:54
11.4mm
44mm (in 35mm film)
1/13 sec, f/4.5
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 50
White balance: Auto
Flash: On
File size: 168KB
Image size: 518 x 800
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:45 AM   #15

Nice pic Kalypso! :crazy:

The brickwork in the background looks sharp with good detail, but the upper portion of your subject shows an unusual amount of 'barrel distortion'. ;-)

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:27 PM   #16

I just want to clarify that the A200 does haveflex-focus point option. Anyway, here are some of my photos taken this Christmas. These are fairly challenging shots for a Pro SLR. I purchased the A200 just before Christmas so forgive my compositions etc as I was experimenting most of the time!

Shot details:

Auto Focus, Extra Fine, 3264 x 2448, F/9, 20 sec, ISO-100, Tungsten WB

Attached Images

gogogo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:29 PM   #17

Auto Focus, Extra Fine, 3264 x 2448, F/3.5, 2 sec, ISO-200, Tungsten WB, Macro Mode (Telephoto)

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:32 PM   #18

Auto Focus, Extra Fine, 3264 x 2448, F/10,4 sec, ISO-50,Daylight WB, Macro Mode (Telephoto)

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:46 PM   #19

Hey Catbells,

I see a sign in the back of your pic that says "Humped zebra crossing". Care to explain?

I just got my A200 today, gotta go home and pop in the CF card. I'll see if I can get some good shots.
queson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:22 PM   #20

Wow! Those are some nice pics! I've had my A200 for two days now (WOOHOO!) and I'm still learning all the neat things this camera can do.

This is a well-built, solid camera. It feels great to hold in your hands and even though this is my first KM camera, I'm already zipping through the button lay-out and menu screens with ease. Low-light scenes can give this camera some trouble, and it does have that odd habit of shutting down the LCD for several seconds after taking a flash picture. Otherwise, this thing rocks!

Hope to get some decent pics on here soon.