Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:05 PM   #1

I recently purchased the KM Z1 and so far so good except, that when I set the image quality at "fine" and upload the pixs they seem very large in size but low in resolution. I checked them in photoshop and the resolution is 72 dpi. As far as I know, that is not a high quality photo. I would like to be able to set it at least a 300 dpi for "fine" is there a way to do this...I have gone through the menus but can't find anything that would allow this. Thanks.
librarygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:24 PM   #2
Administrator

This is a common misconception. The cameras don't take photos at 72dpi by default. It's only a flag in the image header. This setting (72 dpi) is one that most manufacturers use, and has nothing to do with the actual image resolution.

The dpi quality you have for printing will depend on the resolution of the image (in pixels), and the size of the print you want to make.

For example, the largest image your Z1 can produce is 2048 x 1536 pixels. So, if you wanted a 300 dpi print, you'd need to print at a size of approximately 6.82 x 5.12 inches. Simply divide the resolution by the inches to see dpi. For example, 2048/300 = 6.82, 1536/300 = 5.12.

Of course, you'll need to crop a photo for standard print sizes.

The printer driver should use all of the resolution (as long as you don't have any resize/resample boxes checked) when you print.

As far as print sizes, many will argue that 150 pixels per inch is plenty of resolution, with anything more a waste, since the human eye won't be able to tell the difference at normal viewing distances.

Others will argue that 200, or even 300 pixels per inch is necessary for the best quality.

Here's a chart that may help.

http://www.cordcamera.com/products/digital/aspect_ratios.html

IMO, anything above about 180 is fine for prints up to 8x10", and even less is can be used for larger prints (because you'll be viewing them from further away).

Here's another chart that takes popular digital camera image sizes, and shows how many pixels per inch you'll be sending to the printer driver for popular print sizes:

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm#ppi

Also, you can interpolate an image using software (you shouldn't need to, unless you are printingvery large prints). This does not increase the detail captured originally, but it does add pixels (based on the value of adjacent pixels). This lets you print larger images without pixelaton.

A good free package is irfanview. It has a verygood Lanczos Filter based interpolation algorithm (you'll find this option under the resize/resample menu option). You can download the software (free) from this link:

http://www.irfanview.com

Also, you may want to be aware that some print sizes can result in cropping of your digital image. Refer to this chart, to determine the percentage of your image that will be used, at popular digital camera sizes, for standard prints:

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm#frameutil

Now, there is a flag for dpi in the image header, but changing it is only changing a byte in the image header and doesn't really change the image at all.

BTW, you posted this in the Konica Minolta Digital SLR Forum, which is only forKonica MinoltaDigital SLR cameras (Dynax/Maxxum 7 Digital). The correct forum for questions about your model is the Konica Minolta Forum. So, I'll move this thread there now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

librarygal wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased the KM Z1 and so far so good except, that when I set the image quality at "fine" and upload the pixs they seem very large in size but low in resolution. I checked them in photoshop and the resolution is 72 dpi. As far as I know, that is not a high quality photo. I would like to be able to set it at least a 300 dpi for "fine" is there a way to do this...I have gone through the menus but can't find anything that would allow this. Thanks.
"Fine" as used in the quality menu means "minimal JPEG compression." It doesn't have anything to do with the resolution. At "standard" you might see slight compression artifacts, but at "fine" I usually don't see any unless there's a really bright area with something contrasty next to it. Then there might be a little "stair-step" zone along the edge where the two meet.

Some programs (IrfanView included, I think) will give you the option of printing at the dot-per-inch resolution, fit-to-page, or certain standard sizes. I've printed some 8x10s at "fit-to-page" from my Z1 at 2 and 3.2 megapixels and can't see any difference between them--my printer is probably the limiting factor there--and if you put either one in a frame behind glass and view it from a normal distance, you'll never know which is which.

Some programs (again, including IrfanView, I think) let you change the resolution to a different dpi. As JimC said, though, that doesn't change anything but that number, unless you're using the option to print at the photo's dot-per-inch resolutioninstead of printing to a standard size or fitting it to the page.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote