Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 5, 2002, 4:07 PM   #1

Default Using 5600 Flash off-camera with 7Hi

Confused about what's needed to use a 5600HD off the hot shoe. With the PC connection outlet, I thought a simple pc cord might work, but Minolta says only the 1100 adapter (mounted in hot shoe) will work: "the PC cord is only for studio flash" (which must be different??).
1. Is anyone using this camera and flash unit this way?
2. if so, how are you connecting it?
3. what (if any) capabilities are lost?
Thank you!
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2002, 4:54 PM   #2
NHL

Rickster

You have a 5600HS-D right? Why do you need a sync cord @ all. Use it wirelessly! (It will work on the hotshoe normally too!)

You only need to put it on the camera hot-shoe initially to program the channel, then take it off, put it on it's cute leg and fire-off... No sync cord needed.

You can control more than 1 unit this way as well as setting them @ different ratio!

Have fun :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 9:38 AM   #3

As NHL point out, take advantage of all the features of your flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster
With the PC connection outlet, I thought a simple pc cord might work, but Minolta says only the 1100 adapter (mounted in hot shoe) will work: "the PC cord is only for studio flash" (which must be different??).
1. Is anyone using this camera and flash unit this way?
2. if so, how are you connecting it?
3. what (if any) capabilities are lost?
Thank you!
PC outlet, 1100, PCT100, .etc … only give you a dumb trigger signal, nothing else . So “it works” in the sense “it flashes” , but no control of any kind from the camera, nor feedback to camera ( flash ready signal).
1 >> Many use this way of connecting because they don’t have a dedicated Minolta flash ( me included)
2 >> For D7Hi, the sync terminal play the role of FS1100 and PCT-100 which you have to use with D7/D7i ( I use a home made one)
3 >> You loose all the capabilities.
An external flash/studio light connected to the pc sync terminal with a cord expect only a trigger signal. In this case , the flash operates on manual , or auto-aperture mode . You will under-use your flash if so connected.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:26 AM   #4

if you don't want to use the wireless sync (use both the 5600d and the built in flash. the oc-1100 cable is the trick. i use it on a L bracket and isolate the foot and side contacts with a thin sheet of plastic adapted to a normal hotshoe using a fs-1200 adapter. full capability is there.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote