Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 6, 2002, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Is 'VIVID' color too vivid?

I find, using natural color to shoot colorful pc boards and wiring, I have to increase the contrast with Photo Shot Elements to get decent colors. Opinions/advice please?
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2002, 3:43 PM   #2

When trying to faithfully reproduce colors, the ‘natural color’ option works best. However, if the photo gets overexposed (as the 7i has a tendency to do) they will look washed out. Try using either “vivid” or col +1 or +2 and see if you can get more color saturation. Watch it though, if you are taking pics of wiring harnesses and components – (through hole resistors and such), you may want to leave color alone and just use the contrast setting on the camera to +1 or +2. This will also save you some time in Post Processing.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:04 PM   #3

i dont use any digital effect functions on the camera, but adjust photos on pc by photoshop. i do use real-time histogram to get good exposure so i have enough 'color gamut' to work with.

i think photoshop is much more powerful that the firmware used by minolta.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:26 PM   #4

Binji7, Vivid seems to be a little much. Think I'll try your suggestions.
zhu001, since you use photoshop I guess, Isn't there any way other than completely closing photoshop down to get my Zio USB reader to let me remove the microdrive? I've tried switching directories etc. but a long as Photoshop is on - no go. It's a pain to load & shut down photoshop each time I need to put the microdrive in the camera.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:35 PM   #5

Default (PS on vivid colors & shooting aluminum)

My shots (don't have a website to show them to you), are of circuit boards and wiring mostly inside the highly reflective aluminum chassis. The D7 seems to 'cloud up' and darken even though I try to avoid reflections and glare. Best WB setting so far seems to be flourescent. Wish I had a 'pro along to teach me the tricks of the D7i . Am doing better on the macro's though.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:59 PM   #6

i dont quite understand ur question. but this is how i do:

shot photo in raw format, transfer to pc harddriver. (i use the camera as cf card reader. ), using dimageview to convert raw format into tiff format, save again. then using photoshop 7 to do whatever u want. i am not familar with photoshop elements. but i think u should use photoshop full version so give u more tools to mess with.

i have not had problem between photoshop and cardreader (which is my camera).

did u ever try to take any shots outdoor shaded area (not directly under sun)? i guess u need a kind of good amb. light.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 8:22 PM   #7

zhu001. I like your idea of trying shots outside in subdued natural light. Certainly worth a try. I can't afford the $500 or so for full Photo shop software. I've never shot in raw, usually do it in 1600 x 1200.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 9:14 PM   #8

Default Re: (PS on vivid colors & shooting aluminum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cald
My shots (don't have a website to show them to you), are of circuit boards and wiring mostly inside the highly reflective aluminum chassis. The D7 seems to 'cloud up' and darken even though I try to avoid reflections and glare. Best WB setting so far seems to be flourescent. Wish I had a 'pro along to teach me the tricks of the D7i . Am doing better on the macro's though.
Cald,
I often use fluorescent light ( and WB accordingly) , but not a ceiling one. My best result are with 2 at 45 degrees from horizontal . Also, sometimes , I aim my 2 Metz at 45 deg, but far away and with a big reflector , the disposable white dishes do the job very well.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 5:10 AM   #9

Default Metz = lamps?

Forgive my naivety, is a Metz a lamp or special flash? I wonder if a special 'light box' built using translucent plastic sheets & big enough to handle our products might be a good start. I'm thinking of designing a folding one. Crown International, where I used to work had a nice one with curved diffusers etc. (They had a pro photographer). If you know of any designs or site to visit, let me know. Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:04 AM   #10

Are you doing macro shots? It sounds like you need a clip on flash diffuser to get the harsh light off the circuit boards. (I know, I design circuit boards for a living, and have taken a lot a pics of em!!) The real cheap way is to tape some tissue paper over the flash. Also a reflector will do alot to fill in light from other angles. I'm been really thinking about getting one of those wireless flash units just to help with the same type of lighting problem.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote