Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:15 PM   #1

Default 7i performance with a Microdrive

Anybody out there with a 1GB microdrive? How does that baby perform with the 7i? I know they are compatible, but what is the read and write speed like. Time to get more memory and the MB/$$ is leaning way toward microdrive. Thanks a bunch.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:38 PM   #2

I have 2 of the 1GB microdrives, and they work great. They do consume a little more juice than CF cards, but you can't beat the bang for the $.

I have not timed them against CF cards, but I don't think it's that bad. If you shoot JPG, then your shot goes into the buffer anyway, so any additional time lag in writing to the microdrive is transparent anyway.

With raw shots, I would expect it to be noticable as the drive must spin up first.

If you shoot a lot, just keep some extra sets of NiMH batteries available and you should do just fine.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch, I may be doing a wedding and need crazy amounts of space because I'm taking pics at 2560 fine and need to take several shots. (if at least 1/3 are good I be satisfied)
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:58 PM   #4

D7xx CF/microdrive timng here:
http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...rd_speeds.html

see also

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ght=microdrive
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:14 PM   #5

Love the convenience of my Microdrive, only complaint is I've got to pause soon and off load tons of photos. Meanwhile I divide them into folders so Photo Shop doesn't have to thumbnail all (??) of my shots.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:32 AM   #6
NHL

The microdrive is the fastest. The problem is our D7's (or other consumer cameras) is the limiting factor. It takes about 12s in raw to store a single picture, this time is not accurate because it also depends on how fast you push the button on your stop watch. Check its timing out on a laptop or a professional Kodak dSLR, and it beats the fastest flash cards!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ght=microdrive

BTW don't trust the maximum picture counter (416) since it's only an estimate. You can easily get up to 600 shots in Fine. The D7's are perfect match for the microdrive through it's AA NiMh batteries source, so enjoy folks...

I recommend everyone to get a MindStor or something similar to back this device up, beside it also comes with a Firewire interface. You don't want to be downloading multi-gig files down a USB1.0 link!

I like them so much I've just ordered my 3rd one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:03 AM   #7

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 1Gb microdrive for my 7Hi, the only worry I have is reliability. IBM's reputation in the PC community here in the UK has dropped to an all time low due to problems with their 3.5" hard drives, I've had 8 out of 30+ drives fail and have 3 they won't repair as they tel me they're OEM and at 13 months old are out of warranty (All drives bought from the same source).<p>Price in the UK is dropping slowly, about 175 ($265) at the moment, so I'm being VERY tempted to get one, anyone had problems with reliability?
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:29 AM   #8
NHL

phaedra1106

Check out the specs. It's better than most HD specs
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.htm

Operating (in camera):
Shock (1/2 sine wave) - 175G (2ms)
Vibration (random RMS) - 0.67G (5 to 500Hz)
Vibration (swept sine) - 1G o-peak (5 to 500Hz)

Non-Operating (out of camera):
Shock (1/2 sine wave) - 1500G (2ms) <<------- It will survive a drop !!!
Vibration (random RMS) - 3.01G (5 to 500Hz)
Vibration (swept sine) - 5G o-peak (5 to 500Hz)

What you'll find out is after overcoming the fear of using the 1st one, and find it so convenient. You'll end up buying multiple microdrives like most of us are doing! It's extremely useful if you have multiple computers and carry them between work and home (they are replacing my Iomega JAZ's). If it's good enough for the space shuttle, it's good for me...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html#space

BTW the last one was fedexed to me in a plain envelope with no padding. How that for confidence from the vendor?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote