Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:07 PM   #1

Hi everyone. After reviewing thevariousultra zoom cameras on the market I've nearly settled on the KM Z2. It has a near ideal feature set and seems to beat everything in it's price range. Unfortunately,after viewing the review sample pictures for the Z2 on this site, I'm a little disappointed with the quality. They appear to be even worse than Z1 andthe Z10 ( which has a serious underexposure problem) pictures. Considering the file sizes, it appears that they've applied too high a compression ratio, unless Steve accidently shot them in Normal mode instead of Fine. :?

The Z1 & Z10, both with 3.2MP and image dimensions of 2048x1546 have average image sizes of ~1.32 and ~1.39 MB respectively. The Z2 with 4MP and image dimensions of 2272x1704 has an average image size of ~1.29MB. Contrast this to the Canon3.2 MP cameras ( A75, A400, etc)withan average imagesizeof ~1.52MB. Even the4MP Konica G400 has an average image size of 1.6MB.

What were they thinking?! :?

Has Minolta changed the compression ratio in any of their latest firmware updates? I'm aware of the RAW hack but I would also like to be able to take decent compressed photos as well.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Administrator

A number of things can impact file sizes with JPEG. A smaller file size can even mean a better photo (since noise does not compress well).

Perhaps the compression is a little higher. But, I'd compare the photos, not the file sizes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:34 AM   #3

Good point on the noise, but they definitely seem to be "soft" as many reviewers have mentioned andI don't see the images as beingless noisy than the Canons'. JPEG compression seems to be something that can be fixed with a firmware update or "hack" even, somaybe it's not a lost cause. :idea:

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:36 AM   #4

Ok, I just checked the pdf manual for the Z2 and even that says the file size should be higher. It claims a fine mode image should be approximately 1940Kb, which sounds about right to me. Why hasn't anyone else complained about this? I don't even own the thing yet and I'm steamed. :? Here's a pic of the pertinent section:

Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:27 PM   #5

I just checked two file sizes from pictures I took on the weekend. Both are fairly busy close shots of a pine tree foliage with cones or snow visible, and each weigh in at over 2.8 mb in fine mode (hard sharpness). Both appear to be decent pictures since they were "snapped" in a rush.

Don't forget that JPEG compression depends on content. Many of Steve's images are the ones with lots of blue sky or other large areas of a single colour. These would compress more aggressively than a picture full of varied detail.

The Z2 certainly has been panned for soft images, but a little post processing seems to do the trick. I have seen some RAW images posted recently that didn't look that much different to the fine picture from the same source.
wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:45 PM   #6

I just checked a number of my "fine" photos and the size ranges from 1.1mb to 3.1mb depending on the subject. Most of them are around 1.4mb.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:17 AM   #7

I compare them to the same sample photos from other cameras( eg. the schoolhouse picture)and I notice that they're always smaller. It's probably no big deal anyway... I've saved a raw file down to ~500Kb and can barely tell the difference. The Z2 has other problems.