Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

I have read all the discussions about the A200 and A2 cameras and decided on the A200. I now have the Minolta 7i, which I think is a fine camera. I like the manual zoom lens a lot. I invested $400 for the Minolta ring flash for macro photography so I want to stay with the Minolta cameras that use this flash. The 7i was my second digital camera. The Lumix FMC-15 my third-for the 12x stabilized zoom for wildlife and the A200 will be my 4th. I already have a buyer for the 7i which I am reluctantly selling; but I figurre I won't be using the 7i after I receive the A200. I passed on the Hi, A1, A2 upgrades, but I figured I'd bite on the A200. If you read the reviews closely it seems most reviews consider the A200 an advancement over the A2. The fact that digital cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper with more features has obviouly forced Minolta to upgrade their A2. Prices today just don't call for $1299 for an 8meg camera like the A200. Reasoning that $1299 was the orginal cost of the A2 when it first came out. $799 as the list for the A200 is more inline with the competition. Some features had to be slightly downgraded on the A200 as not to allienate the A2 used, e.g. the EVF, and to cut some costs out of the camera. The A200 has a metal body and photo quality has been increased over the A2. Now don't get all excited. THINK. Progress will be made and to compete Minolta had to improve performance!! It's there. It might be a while befor new users discover the full potential of the A200, but I think time will tell and in a few month everyone will forget about the debate between the A2 and A200. I looked very closely at all the other 7-8 megapixal cameras and Minolta really has a sweet design. This is the 6 evolution of this design from the Dimage 7, so something is going right. Comments?
Babysplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:26 PM   #2

I am debating between the A2 and the A200 also. I am replacing a Canon A1 film. Today it's the A200 - yesterday it was the A2. I just don't know what to do either! I like some of the features of both, but I am weighing more toward the A200.
sahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:15 PM   #3

Last time I looked the price difference wasn't that great online. I also have a D7i and would likely get the A2 over the A200. I do prefer the fully articulated LCD, but I really like the high resolution EVF on the A2.

I don't think the A200 has a metal body – at least not according to Megapixel. Steve says it has a metal body, but Megapixel says it is polycarbonate and KM conveniently doesn't say. It lacks the eye sensor – even your old 7i has that.

Megapixel compared the two some in their review. Some comments:

"On the negative side, it seems that when focusing at telephoto settings, the A200 is slower to focus than the A2. Indeed, we noted that it is advisable to wait for a focus confirmation — a beep or a solid white dot on the lower right of the viewfinder/LCD monitor which can sometimes take more than a second — before pressing the shutter release all the way down to capture the photo. Similarly, when set to manual mode, focusing is more difficult than it is with the A2 because of the lower definition EVF."

"The DiMAGE A200 is clearly based on the A2, but is simpler to operate as it does not have some of the more complex "pro" functions and settings of the A2. While the A200 benefits from many of the best features of the A2 such as a superb lens, an excellent ergonomic design, an Anti-Shake system and a big 8 megapixel image size, it forgoes the very high resolution EVF of the A2, and compatibility with some of its accessories."

Not sure what accessories that last comment refers to.

Dave at Imaging Resource said in his conclusion:

"The result is a camera with a really compelling set of features and capabilities, but at a "street" price fully $150-200 less than that of the A2. You do give up the super-high resolution EVF of the A2, along with a noticeable amount of shooting speed and the top end of the A2's shutter speed range, but the bottom line is that the Konica Minolta A200 is an 8-megapixel, 7x zoom, anti-shake-equipped digital camera that sells for a lot less than any competing model with the same attributes. All in all, a fine digital camera, and another Dave's Pick for Konica Minolta."

List price means nothing. Best Price Audio Video is a Shopping,com trusted store, and the A2 is $679 with free shipping. That is less than $70 more than the best price you can get the A200 for from a trusted store.

Steve put the A200 on his Best Cameras list and the A2 isn't there – he must have his reasons but doesn't directly state them. If it is the lower list price that is marginal at this time. But Megapixel and Imaging resource seem to think the A2 is a higher level camera. Jeff and Phil haven't reviewed the A200 yet.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:37 AM   #4

From what I have heard the A200 is just a "dumbed down" verison of the A2. I would definitely take the A2 over the A200. (BTW, I am in love with my A2):lol:
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:12 AM   #5

slipe makes some fine points. I didn't really consider the price point as essentially the price difference is minor. If you call around you can find the A200 for $588-$620, but I don't see price as a major consideration.

The tilt swival LCD panel on the A200 is easier and more praticle than the tilting EVF for pictures overhead or from the ground up.

Althought the write times are little slower on the A200 it has a larger buffer that can hold 11 images compaed to the A2's 3.

Since I owned the D7i I wanted something a little different, thus the slightly smaller, rounder body and slightly lighter weight is a small consideration that will give me the feel of a different camera, but still the same with many advanced features over the D7i.

The only accessoryI can think of is the battery grip, which I would like. But the battery suppliedshould last a days shooting and higher capacity batteries are available, so the battery limitations experience with the 7i are a thing of the past. Therefore the extra weight and cost of the battery grip is probably not necessary. Although I do like the vertical shutter on the battery grip. I wish the A200 had an auto positioning sensor forthe vertical image, but neither camera does.

I'm a real real photo buff, I'd consider myself an advanced amateur or semi-professional. I do make quite a bite of money each year from photography. My Nikon f3, purchased in 1981 is still going strong. Digital cameras don't hold their value very well and are evolving so fast it really doesn't pay to purchase more camera than you need. dSLR's are extremely expensive and lock you in to one brand. I view cameras like the A2 or A200 as something I can live with. In a year or 2 both of these cameras will not longer be discussed here and both will be surpassed many times over. If either camera has an overwhelming feature you like--then that's the one to buy. Both I think are excellent cameras.

Babysplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:23 AM   #6

slipe wrote:
Quote:

"I don't think the A200 has a metal body – at least not according to Megapixel. Steve says it has a metal body, but Megapixel says it is polycarbonate and KM conveniently doesn't say. It lacks the eye sensor – even your old 7i has that."
It has an inner metal body coveredby an outer polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate though plastic is stronger then some metals. It cold forms like certain metals soif you dropthe camerait will dent similar tohow a metal camera woulddent.With that said it will not crack as do most pastics and can also stand up to relatively high temperatures. Polycarbonates are used instead of metals in our cars today. Idler pulleysare but one of many uses under the hood and other parts of a modern car. Polycarbonate is a high end plastic as well as being one of the most expensive types of plastics.

Construction wise the A200is not a cheaplymade camera. People may not like the feel of itbecause it's plastic but it's a tough little camera nontheless.
pfcurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #7

Hello there.

I've got an A2 and am really, really happy with the results. I use it often for studio work, product photography.

When I was shopping I looked at all of the usual suspects, including some of the dSLRs but the A2 was what I was happiest with. The A200 uses the Nikon body/chassis from the 8700 and 8800 as far as I can tell. Same shape, same battery, etc. Very strange. I found it to not focus as quickly, either. As mentioned above it doesn't have the hi-res EVF, either.

The A2 is the most SLR-ish of the bunch and for the price is better than, say, the low end canon dSLRs. My film cameras are Pentaxes, and I've got a whack of lenses but wasn't really that happy with the *istd, or whatever they're calling the thing.

My two cents.

cheers
aleks.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:15 PM   #8

The lack of the eye sensor and tilting EVF is a big turn away for me on the A200 (almost as much as the low quality EVF) I think that with the A200 KM is just trying to get people to use the LCD. What major features does the A200 have that A2 lacks???
I personally think that the A2 is a MUCH better camera than the A200. . .for about the same price.
(A2)
1MP EVF
tilting EVF
eye sensing EVF
tracking auto focus
compared to
(A200)
tilting rotating LCD
higher movie mode

I think the A2 takes it by a long shot. I think that KM was simply trying to appeal to more consumers with the production of the A200 with features like the 4x digital zoom, rotating LCD and the like. If you are into serious photography the A2 is your camera. If you are just a snap shooter who takes pictures using the LCD most of the time. . .then the A200 might be better for you.
That's just my opinion however. . .:lol:
Hope that helps,
Max
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:02 PM   #9

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
The lack of the eye sensor and tilting EVF is a big turn away for me on the A200 (almost as much as the low quality EVF) I think that with the A200 KM is just trying to get people to use the LCD. What major features does the A200 have that A2 lacks???
I personally think that the A2 is a MUCH better camera than the A200. . .for about the same price.
(A2)
1MP EVF
tilting EVF
eye sensing EVF
tracking auto focus
compared to
(A200)
tilting rotating LCD
higher movie mode

I think the A2 takes it by a long shot. I think that KM was simply trying to appeal to more consumers with the production of the A200 with features like the 4x digital zoom, rotating LCD and the like. If you are into serious photography the A2 is your camera. If you are just a snap shooter who takes pictures using the LCD most of the time. . .then the A200 might be better for you.
Hope that helps,
Max
Been reading some of the comments from A2 users/owners about the A200. Looks like the little old A200 has caused some heartburn. At least enough to generate some detailed criticism and bloviated comparisons. I wonder if those people realize that the two cameras, although sharing many components and features, are targeted towards different consumer groups.

As a new A200 owner, I'm delighted (and quite flattered) to see that such folks feel compelled enough by this dumbed-down A200 to give it so much of their time and attention. Fear not, dear friends, as the A200 will not threaten the throne of the vaunted A2, for it is not meant to be a successor, only a companion!

:lol:
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:32 PM   #10

BoneDaddy wrote:
Quote:
KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
(A2)
1MP EVF
tilting EVF
eye sensing EVF
tracking auto focus
compared to
(A200)
tilting rotating LCD
higher movie mode

Hope that helps,
Max
Been reading some of the comments from A2 users/owners about the A200. Looks like the little old A200 has caused some heartburn. At least enough to generate some detailed criticism and bloviated comparisons. I wonder if those people realize that the two cameras, although sharing many components and features, are targeted towards different consumer groups.

As a new A200 owner, I'm delighted (and quite flattered) to see that such folks feel compelled enough by this dumbed-down A200 to give it so much of their time and attention. Fear not, dear friends, as the A200 will not threaten the throne of the vaunted A2, for it is not meant to be a successor, only a companion!

:lol:
:lol: That is a very good point. Have fun with your A200!