Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:32 PM   #11

I'm still torn between the A200 & CP8800 - the latter does appear to give better shots straight of the camera. I've also extended my selection to include a DSRL camera but these also appear to produce softer images. Strangely, I was most disappointed with test shots taken with a Nikon D70 & am waiting to see how the Olympus E300 compares.

As for the A2, it has suffered from focus problems with at least one reviewer having to have 2 replacements before it would focus - at one stage it took 6 shots to get one in focus.

Out of interest, the A200 does have a number of adjustments that can be built into to record mode - Vivid, Sharpness, Saturation. I want to try these out as it's my belief that given the right setting (which can be saved for recall) the results should be as good as the Nikon CP8800.

I'll keep you posted if I'm fortunate enough to get a chance to try this outat my local store.

Here's a sample taken from my Fuji S602 compared with a post processed A200 & CP8800 straight out of the camera
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:09 PM   #12

More 'words of wisdom' from Santos ...THANKS!

Santos,

After reading your last reply and giving it some thought, I'm beginning to soften and may be inclined to agree with you. With all the neat features that many of the 8mp prosumers have, maybe it's myexpectations that are flawed, rather thanthis class of cameras. Is it time to shoot this amateur critic (me)?! :ak47::?

The Nikon 8800 was one of the first ones I looked at. Shortcomings aside, it is one very nice camera! Unfortunately, almost 1/2 of my photography involves sports/action shots. With it's slow operation, focusing concerns, etc., the 8800 is just not cut out for that type of photography.

Still on my list, due to it's relative fast operation and it's very nice F2.8 12X lens, is the 5mp Panasonic FZ20. I only wish it had a 7 or 8 mp CCD, and some of the other features of the 8800 and theA200.

The A200isn't quite as fast operating as the FZ20, nor does it havethe FZ20 lens, but the A200 has so many other nice features (8mp CCD, manual zoom, articulated LCD, usable ISO 400, etc. ... ). I guess my onlymajor concern with the A200 is the 'image quality' issue. And also, it's obviously a new model on the market with no track record to refer to.

Yes ... western Alberta is aphotographer's paradise. Glad you enjoyed it! Very nice photo ...I'm guessing it might be a photoof the upper Bow River inlate spring or early summer. Am I right? I'm also guessing you are Canadian too ... what part of 'The Great White North' do you call home?

I see that 'Catbells' from the UK is back again (see post above)... GRRREAT! In his last post on one of the other A200 threads about a weekago, it sounded like he had signed off for good. [ Glad you'reback 'Catbells'!] In his post directly above, 'Catbells' talks about adjusting the settings on the A200 so that it might be able to match the image quality of the 8800, right out of the camera. Santos, Do you think this is possible?!?!?!? :idea:

Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:24 PM   #13

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I'm still torn between the A200 & CP8800 - the latter does appear to give better shots straight of the camera. I've also extended my selection to include a DSRL camera but these also appear to produce softer images. Strangely, I was most disappointed with test shots taken with a Nikon D70 & am waiting to see how the Olympus E300 compares.
Hi Catbells,

I haven't looked at the D70, but Itook a few test shots with the E300 and those jpeg images were a bit soft as well. I've been following another thread (in another website) on the D300 and the consensus with that group ofE300 owners is that the camera will produce outstanding images if you shoot in RAW format and use Adobe Capture Raw plug-in in Photoshop to convert the raw file to TIFF or jpeg.

If you do more testing with the A200, try setting the colour to "vivid" and the sharpness to "hard" There are controls to adjust contrast and saturation, but I'd leave them at default settings.

cheers....Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:20 AM   #14

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
Yes ... western Alberta is aphotographer's paradise. Glad you enjoyed it! Very nice photo ...I'm guessing it might be a photoof the upper Bow River inlate spring or early summer. Am I right? I'm also guessing you are Canadian too ... what part of 'The Great White North' do you call home?

I see that 'Catbells' from the UK is back again (see post above)... GRRREAT! In his last post on one of the other A200 threads about a weekago, it sounded like he had signed off for good. [ Glad you'reback 'Catbells'!] In his post directly above, 'Catbells' talks about adjusting the settings on the A200 so that it might be able to match the image quality of the 8800, right out of the camera. Santos, Do you think this is possible?!?!?!? :idea:

Dean
Hi Dean:

That picwas indeed taken in the Bow Rivervalley in late May 2003. There are some great photo ops in Alberta....

Yes, I'm a Canadian as well, andliving in southern Ontario right now, near Lonoon. The scenery isn't quite as spectacular as Alberta, but we're at the northern limit of the Carolinan forest, so I spentsome time on macro photography in the spring.Someof my pictures are of family & friends. Mostare landscape and travel.

I saw Catbell's note, and responded. I think a combination of "vivid" colour and sharpness set to "hard" will bring the A200 imagescloser to the Nikon and Canon, but not quite an exact match. Let's see what Catbells thinks.

cheers....Santos
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:37 AM   #15

RobT wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Please could you all help, all of a sudden there seems to be some concern about the A2, which is the best camera between the A2, A200 or even the Coolpix 8800.

I WOULD LIKE A CAMERA TO TAKE GOOD SHARP PHOTO'S ALSO IN LOW LIGHT AND OF FAST MOVING SPORTS ACTIVITIES. I have now been put off the A2 two because eveyone appears to have a problem with out of focus pictures.

Help me please.

Rob
Getting back to your original question, there's a good review of the A2 at the Luminous Landscape if you haven't already seen it...

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml

regards...Santos
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:48 AM   #16

Santos

Thank you for your reply, I am very new to digital photography and was starting to get confused.

Thanks again for your reply. I think that I will get the A2 and see how I get on with it. I have been trying to choose a camera for months!! It's time to get on and get one.

Thanks

Robt
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:08 PM   #17

Santos wrote:
Quote:
Hi Catbells,

I haven't looked at the D70, but Itook a few test shots with the E300 and those jpeg images were a bit soft as well. I've been following another thread (in another website) on the D300 and the consensus with that group ofE300 owners is that the camera will produce outstanding images if you shoot in RAW format and use Adobe Capture Raw plug-in in Photoshop to convert the raw file to TIFF or jpeg.

If you do more testing with the A200, try setting the colour to "vivid" and the sharpness to "hard" There are controls to adjust contrast and saturation, but I'd leave them at default settings.

cheers....Santos
Hi Santos

I've just been looking at the sample images for the E300on DP Review and yes they appear soft.

I will certainly try your suggestion of setting the colour mode to Vivid - strange that the A200 has no Landscape Mode.

On the A200 front - once I was indecisive, now I just can't make up my mind. What I mean is that having previously written off the A200, it's back on the list having slightly mastered Unsharp Mask & produced better results from the A200.

I re-sampled the image from Digital Camera Resource with impressive results for the A200.

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote