Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:27 AM   #1

Hi

Please could you all help, all of a sudden there seems to be some concern about the A2, which is the best camera between the A2, A200 or even the Coolpix 8800.

I WOULD LIKE A CAMERA TO TAKE GOOD SHARP PHOTO'S ALSO IN LOW LIGHT AND OF FAST MOVING SPORTS ACTIVITIES. I have now been put off the A2 two because eveyone appears to have a problem with out of focus pictures.

Help me please.

Rob
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:30 PM   #2

Hi RobT

You may be just noticing them now, but the complaints about the A2 started just after the camera was released. Some love it and say they have no problems, others still complain.

I had a chance to talk with a KM technical rep recently, and he claimed the focus problems were fixed with a firmware upgrade...others claim otherwise.

If you really want the A2, just make sure that the store you buy it from will exchange it if you're not happy with it. This will allow you time to evaluate it under the conditions you'll be using it at.

I personally would go for the A200 over the A2. It doesn't have the high rez EVF, but it does have a fully articulated LCD panel, which I think is much more useful than the LCD and the flip up EVF on the A2.

Other cameras to consider are the Nikon 8800. And if you don't need the long zoom range and VR feature, the Olympus 8080 and Canon G6 are also worth considering.

If you really need a fast camera for low light andactionsports shots, these cameras COULD be made to work, but I think you'll be happier with one of the dSLRs, they are much faster at focus, shutter response and burst rate.

hope this helps..... Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

I own an A1 & having just used an A200, I would recommend the A2 before the A200. The A200 is basically a stripped down A2 (except for the remote & articulated LCD). Also, the A200 cannot accept the Optional Battery Grip, no 3-D Predictive Focus & doesn't include a built in PC Sync connector.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:31 PM   #4

HiKalypso, et al!

It alsoseems thatthe 'jury' is still out, re the image quality of the A200. See the thread : http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

I'mhaving some problems sorting that threadout, as it appears to me that many of theimage comparisons in that threadare not comparing 'apples-with-apples'.

Kalypso, Santos,Rob ... what are your feelings on the A200 'image quality'issue?

Thx,

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:03 AM   #5

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
HiKalypso, et al!

It alsoseems thatthe 'jury' is still out, re the image quality of the A200. See the thread : http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

I'mhaving some problems sorting that threadout, as it appears to me that many of theimage comparisons in that threadare not comparing 'apples-with-apples'.

Kalypso, Santos,Rob ... what are your feelings on the A200 'image quality'issue?

Thx,

Dean
Yeah, that thread got a bit complex....

Of the three cameras I've been looking at, the Canon G6, KMA200 and Nikon 8800, the A200 has the best combination of features, in my opinion....

Re: image quality...I borrowed each camera several times and took a number of pictures outside the store.

Straight outof the camera at default settings, I prefer the look of the Canon G6 images slightly ahead of theNikon 8800, and I preferred both of these ahead of the A200 images. I thought the A200 images looked soft by comparison,although the A200 lens testedvery wellin a number of reviews.

I did some post processing using the unsharp mask in Photoshop, and the A200 images improved quite a bit. I was able to get 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 prints that compared favourably with the G6... although the G6 files had no post processing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At 16 x 20 size, the G6print looked slightly better than theA200 print, but I didn't perform more testing to see if I could bring them closer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My conclusion was thatit would take some post-processing to get most ofthe A200 images to the point where I would be happy with them; and I likely will pass on this camera because of that. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you are willing to do some post-processing, I wouldn't rule out the A200 because of image quality... I strongly suggest that go to your local store with your own CF card andshoot some test shots yourself. Take some flash shots inside the store, and some exterior shots outside, even if it's a shot of the stores across the street. Then have a look at your pictures on your computer monitor, have a few pictures printed...then decide....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"sure hope this helps...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Santos
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I own an A1 & having just used an A200, I would recommend the A2 before the A200. The A200 is basically a stripped down A2 (except for the remote & articulated LCD). Also, the A200 cannot accept the Optional Battery Grip, no 3-D Predictive Focus & doesn't include a built in PC Sync connector.
I agree with what you say, but there have been so many complaints about the A2 from owners and reviewers, that I wouldn't buy one unless I knew I could return it in case it didn't perform well...

Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:39 AM   #7

I may be ignorant but (unless you buy it from some crappy dealer), if it's defective, you should easily be able to return it for replacement (at least in the US)!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:56 AM   #8

RobT wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Please could you all help, all of a sudden there seems to be some concern about the A2, which is the best camera between the A2, A200 or even the Coolpix 8800.

I WOULD LIKE A CAMERA TO TAKE GOOD SHARP PHOTO'S ALSO IN LOW LIGHT AND OF FAST MOVING SPORTS ACTIVITIES. I have now been put off the A2 two because eveyone appears to have a problem with out of focus pictures.

Help me please.

Rob
If you want low light photos, as well as fast moving sports photos, I would say got with a digital SLR camera, something like the canon Digital rebel, is not really that much more than the A200, and you will get MUCH better results for fast moving, and low light subjects.
I know that really wasn't what you wanted to hear. . .but I though I would at least let you know :P
I was taking some sports pictures today, and I was sure wishing I had a DSLR over my Dimage 7Hi (which is not a bad camera, it just lacks the speed of a DSLR).
Hope that helps,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:22 AM   #9

Santos,

Thanks for your re-cap on the A200 'image quality' issue. From the caliber of your posts on this and other threads, I hold your opinion inhigh regard.

Quite honestly, I was a bit afraid to even ask for your opinion (and the opinionof others) in fear that the A200 might loose out. I like so many of the A200 features (manual zoom, usable ISO 400,fully articulated LCD, etc., etc., ... ). It seems to be the 'perfect' camera for me. However, I am of the opinion that, ifthere is one aspect about anycamera that should be held above all other aspects, it is 'image quality'.

I get the sense that the A200 can produce good quality images, but only after doing some extensive post-processing. I don't mind having to post-process, but only as an exception to correct the odd error, difficult photo situation, or for special effects. If I understand correctly, with the A200, each and every photo that I would want to keep will have to be post-processed. That makes for a very long, drawn out procedure to take a 'keeper photograph'.I'm at a loss as to whyKonica-Minolta would force thisawkward, cumbersomesituation on theircustomers in this day and age.:sad:

As for the Nikon 8800, it isnow well documented that ithas it's own set of significant problems (very slow operation, focusing concerns, etc. ... ). I don't want to expand here, as I think I've already ranted too much about the A200 image concerns.

To be honest, I think I'm very close to walking away from the whole'8MP prosumer camera idea' altogether.I'm beginning to think that it may bebasically a flawed class of cameras, thatone shouldavoid. Just my lowly,humble opinion, eh!

What's left?:

- ADSLR system ... probably the best choice, butexpensive, and lacks many of the neat 'bells & whistles' of the prosumers.

- The 7MP Canon G6 ... a bitslower in operation than I'd like, and I wish it had a longer zoom, etc., but at least it has no major concerns that I know of,and it takes very good qualitypictures.

I'll be thinking about this some more, butin the end, maybe the G6 is the one I should opt for.

Thanks again Santos for your feed-back and opinions.

It is greatly appreciated! :-)

Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:56 AM   #10

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
Santos,

<snip> ... I get the sense that the A200 can produce good quality images, but only after doing some extensive post-processing. I don't mind having to post-process, but only as an exception to correct the odd error, difficult photo situation, or for special effects. If I understand correctly, with the A200, each and every photo that I would want to keep will have to be post-processed. That makes for a very long, drawn out procedure to take a 'keeper photograph'.I'm at a loss as to whyKonica-Minolta would force thisawkward, cumbersomesituation on theircustomers in this day and age.:sad:
<snip> ..
To be honest, I think I'm very close to walking away from the whole'8MP prosumer camera idea' altogether.I'm beginning to think that it may bebasically a flawed class of cameras, thatone shouldavoid. Just my lowly,humble opinion, eh!
...<snip>
Dean...keep in mind that I gave you my impressions and preferences...yours may vary. I found that I had to tweak the sharpness and contrast to get pictures from the A200that I liked, but I don't think that every photo will need extensive post processing...portraits especially would look really good because of the neutral colours and lower contrast.

Your final use of the photos will determine what you'll have to do in post-processing. If you're going to view them on the screen at a reduced size so that you can see the entire photo, you may be happy with the way they look out of the camera. If you plan to have your photos printed at your local photofinisher at 4 x 6 size, youmay be happy with them out of the camera. If you plan to print a lot of pictures at11 x 14 or larger, you'll be doingsome post-processing.Looking at the pictures on a monitor at 100% or 200% of full size can be misleading...at 100% you're looking at a picture that's about four feet wide.

You should also keep in mind how you tend to use a camera. If you're a careful and methodical landscape photographer, the slower processing time of the 8800 or any of these cameras,won't bother you too much. If you like to take a series of quick street photographs, it might.

The 8MP prosumers aren't "flawed", the manufacturers have had to make some compromises. They are great "take anywhere" or "travel" cameras. You just need to be aware of the compromises and decide which camera, if any, has a combination of features that you wantand compromises that you can live with.

good luck with your decision...

By the way, I spent a week in your part of the countrya couple of years ago...went to Banf, Lake Louise, Icefields Highway, dinosaur badlands, Waterton park... fantastic scenery.It's a great placefor photography... the attached was taken with my Canon G2, no filters or post processing, but downsized to 800 x 600 in Photoshop

regards...Santos
Attached Images