Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Infrared with D7i (and up)

I heard that D7i and D7Hi are not able anymore to take infrared pictures (with IR filter) as the original D7 does ( because of the addition of a glass to correct color response) .
I just test my D7i with TV remote control, and at my surprise, I can see the light as I did with my D7 before. Can somebody explain this for me? :?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2002, 1:00 PM   #2

i just tried it with my 7Hi, sony remote and my palm. it lights like a candle. that means no internal filter and still seems as sensitive as the original 7. i hope so because i have a Hoya rm72 coming today.
i'll let you know what happens tomorrow or later.

i have not heard of this filter or lens enhancment. if its there the cutoff is high.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 5:27 PM   #3

well there is an issue. a circular hotspot in the center just about where the AF area is. it shows up in the final image also. this is not a good thing. it kills off the Hi IR capabilities. bummer.

looks like your info was correct.

try the remote test again. move it from side to center and you will notice a difference as you approach the brackets and further in.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 6:37 PM   #4

how about turn off the af. use manual focus. see what happen.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:09 PM   #5

tried. no difference
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:03 PM   #6

Thanks sjms,
I notice a kind of halo , if it's what you mean. But is it caused by the numerous reflection / refraction of the IR ray into the lens system ? In a shot, there won't be any direct ray like that.
I will try to find where I did read about that thing .
Old Nov 16, 2002, 9:12 AM   #7

it's pretty defined as a circle and it does show up in the final image using the filter.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:10 PM   #8
NHL

Interesting project here

I hope you guys understand that the output of a remote IR transmitter is a 30-70kHz modulated output. ie digital pulses train with a 30-70kHz carrier (On-Off very quickly) , and is usually very faint (to save battery power) and not synchronized to the D7's shutter!

http://www.necel.com/nesdis/image/S12974EJ6V0DSJ1.pdf

Wire the output IR transmitter LED to a low voltage DC source through a current limiting resistor, and you'll have a much better illumination... (I hope, et j'espere que tu comprends de quoi je parle KCan :lol: :lol: :lol: !)

Good Luck!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 9:25 PM   #9

NHL,
Thanks for the info, but I won't go for experiment , after the remote test , I was just wondering if I can use an IR filter and take pics with the D7i as people takes with the D7 original ( I remember pics in the old forum).
sjms,
Did you tried taking "normal scenes" pics with the IR filter or with the remote pointing to the camera? ( sorry to ask again, I was not sure)

PS: I guess see what you mean :
Pointing the remote to the wall (so no direct ray to the lens) I notice that the cam is much more sensitive around the center ( brighter) , weird huh?? any explanation?
IR have more "light loss" at pronounced incident angle ?
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:53 PM   #10

i basically went out in the back yard shot off a few images. in the center was a bright area overpowering the center of the image. on the sides was a perfect IR image. it was very disappointing to say the least. it was not the filter either unfortunately.