Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:41 AM   #1

Default 7i flash quit

After just 6 weeks the flash on my 7i quit working. Looks like the camera is not getting the inforamtion that the flash unit has been raised up. No icon appears in the evf. I have double checked settings and even tried resetting the electronics by removing the batteries for a while. Is this just one of those firmware bugs for which thier is a cure or am I going to have to send it in for repair? All other funcitons seem normal.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 4:42 AM   #2
NHL

charlibob

You can check the camera is getting the information that the flash unit has been raised up by just lifting up the built-in unit when the camera is in automatic power down: It'll turn the camera back on! (pretty smart hey, @ least that's how it works on the D7).

How about in the menu screen, can you manually force it to full-power, 1/4, 1/16 etc? Otherwise send it in to Ramsey, NJ for warranty repair, they are pretty good at this and take about 2 weeks...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the test tip. No it won't turn back on with the flash up and no forced flash settings rrom the menu work. Iv'e tried fiddling with flipping the flash up and down and looked for debris in the hinge area. Just no indication that the flash is up. Probably a broken or dirty contact. Camera has been kept clean and not exposed to contamination or excessive mositure. Guess I will have to send it in.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 8:56 PM   #4

Just tried usuing mine at a school event and it wouldn't work either. I hardly use the flash, so I came here looking to see it there was some setting I changed that was over ridding it. Mine justs gives me the waving hand. No lighting bolt at all when shooting. It shuts right down with it up also. Don't know if the flash bulb goes bad. Never use mine that much, but I didn't think those things ever died.
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:46 AM   #5

Sounds like the same problem I have. I contacted Minlotal support and after going over the symptoms with me, they suggested I send it in. Sent it off yesterday, three day UPS. Be interested to see how long it takes to get it back.

Give them a call at 1 877 462 4464

Got a real person, on the first ring, and wasn't shuffled around endlessly or put on hold waitng for help. They will e-mail you instructions for returning your camera and a repair form.

By the way, what model do you have? How new is it? Be interesting to see if there is a bad batch respective to this problem.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 7:44 PM   #6

I got the 7i beck in early July. Did play with the flash and got it to work by pulling forward on it. Doesnt always come on but a little pull and then poping it up works. Will have to see about taking care of it though.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 2:41 PM   #7

Have you had your flash fixed yet? Being so close to the holidays I would hate to be with out it, but then again, indoor shoots might be a big problem.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:16 PM   #8
NHL

It sounds like charlibob did:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4526
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote