Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1

I just started using my A2 a few days ago after lots of research. Yesterday I took pics at an indoor gym of a basketball game and cheerleaders. The results were terrible. 75% of the pics didn't focus on the subject very well but I think I can practice and work that out. The worst was that all the pics had a greenish tint. I used the tungsten white balance setting to avoid yellow tint. The camera was set in aperature priority, iso 400, vivid cilor, contrast +2 and I used the histogram. In some pics I used extra exposure but it made no difference.

I thought the tungsten setting would produce more true color indoors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed.
ED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

Ans: The problem here is the fact that film and human eyes have different spectral response. Human eyes are quite sensitive to the short wave end of the red range of the visible spectrum, but not to the long wave end. Most color film responds about the same to shorter and longer red wavelengths.
Most of the red light from fluorescent lamps, metal halide lamps, sodium lamps, and phosphored mercury lamps is of shorter red wavelengths. These lamps do not emit much of the longer red wavelengths. This maximizes red sensation by the eye for a given amount of actual light. Producing less-visible longer red wavelengths detracts from maximizing luminous efficacy of the lamp, so this is minimized.
Therefore, lamps make a surplus of red wavelengths to which the eye is more sensitive than film is, and a shortage of the red wavelengths to which film is more sensitive than human eyes. This results in the film seeing red less than human eyes do, and this makes photos look blue-greenish

taken from: http://members.misty.com/don/dschtech.html

since the imager see things like film.......

bring a white card with you and shoot the card under the lightusing thecustom white balance button on the left side of the camera lower foward. it should then produce an image considerably closer to what you want. save it and use that as your white balance.
also consider it will not be perfect due to the cycle time of the lamp itself. it runs a sine curve AC cycle depending on wher you catch it on the curve the there might/will be subtle differences in the image coloring due to the cycle from your WB. shooting at lower then 1/60 clears that up a bit but of couse can be counter productive. this is dependent on whether they are older or newer types of lighting.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:15 PM   #3

Hi there,

next step is to shoot in RAW. Processing your pics on your pc, you can bend the white-balance any way you want.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

by setting a reasonable custom WB even shooting RAW allows your starting point to be more easily worked from instead of being way out to begin with and making adjustment that much more needed and intensive.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. Especially to sjms for the great explanation and White Balance lesson. Tomorrow is another game, I'll try the white card and some shots in raw.

Using Noise Ninja, I was able to clean up my pics really well except for the greenish tint. I tried everything I could think of using the "Select Colors" option and using simular greenish and yellow colors that I want to eliminate but was unable to get the image color to change inside the box. Can someone give me a few pointers in eliminating the greenish colors using Noise Ninja?

Thanks, Ed.
ED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:26 AM   #6

You can try using PhotoShop's "Hue & Saturation" adjustment. Use the "Yellow" channel (or whatever channel you might need to adjust)in the pull-down menu. I've tried this on some of my photos and they work out fine. Just don't overdo it.

Dinky
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote