Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:05 PM   #1

[align=justify]With the Z3, is it possible to take video in "portrait" mode rather than "landscape" mode? If you just turn the camera to get a portrait view, all you get is a sideways looking video![/align]
michaelb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:57 AM   #2

And on what device do you plan to watch your vertical movie?

The answer is NO.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:36 AM   #3

Time for me to eat crow.
Apparantly it IS possible to get your vertical video to show properly on your TV. To do this you must get a video editing program. Import your video footage into the program and then apply the TRANSFORM filter to the video. Under the transform settings, adjust the rotation to either 90 or -90 (depending on which way you need to rotate your footage).
This will rotate the video, but it will not preserve the aspect ratio, so you must adjust this also.
Once you have done all this you will need to render the final video and then you will have what you need.
When you play it on your TV you will see the video with black bars on the left and right sides of the screen (sort of a rotated letterbox).

I know that Premier Pro 1.5 can do this (that's how I figured it out). I am guessing most, but maybe not all, video editing programs can do it. I'm sure most of the better ones can, but maybe not some of the entry level programs.

However, a simpler solution might be to just turn your TV on it's side to watch the video :-).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:49 PM   #4

Thanks Declan.

I knew it could be done as I watch my old films taken on a beta cam that way complete with the vertical black bars. My old companycopied them somehow onto a video tape but I never knew how and they wouldn't tell me!
michaelb2 is offline   Reply With Quote