Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:58 PM   #1

I've been lead to believe that Minoltamay haveproduceda number of products with defects,particularly the A2;consequently, it doesn't have the best product qualityhistory in the industry.

DeanB alerted me to an article in the 'Digital Camera'section of the Consumer Reports magazine for November 2004, which contained asmall piece on 'Brand Repair History'... Minolta is reported to be one of the worst offenders.

I'm currently considering the purchase of the A200 (based on the A2) and would like to hear from anyone that has good or bad experiences with their Minolta cameras.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:11 PM   #2

I had a D7 before my actual D7i. The first 6 months, I had my D7i replaced but because I broke the zoom (my fault). Since then I had no problem at all. My friend, who bought a D7 at the same time as my D7, has no problem to date. I am very safistied with my D7i , and my D7 also.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:26 PM   #3

Considering all of the refurbished Z2s on Ebay now, I'm wondering about the same thing.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

I think KM is just as reliable as any other brand .
I am a proud supporter of KM cameras:lol:
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

Good idea (Catbells) to start up a separate thread for this subject!

I'd suggest we tread lightly though, as we don't want to let this thread turn into a 'Minolta Bashing Party'. If that happens, the Forum Monitor Godsmightswoop down and make this thread disappear. In my country, we would refer to a thread like this as "walking on thin ice". :lol:

I'm not sure how valuable posting individual experiences will be. This tread may only attract those that have had problems, and who see this as an opportunityto 'vent' their anger withMinolta. However, posting observations like'Riot Act' (above); "Considering all of the refurbished Z2s on Ebay now, I'm wondering about the same thing." have some value, and may be more useful.

In the thread where I'spawned' this concern [http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=20&page=4] and asked the question: Does anyone have any opinions to offer related to Minolta's product quality history?Ireferred to an article in the Nov. `04issue of the Consumer Reports magazine. Maybe what I should do is findmy copy of that issue and post some of the information on the piece titled "Brand Repair History". I will try to do that, and make another post on this threadlater tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:15 PM   #6

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
I'd suggest we tread lightly though, as we don't want to let this thread turn into a 'Minolta Bashing Party'. If that happens, the Forum Monitor Gods might swoop down and make this thread disappear.
That's not likely...we have never been told to prevent (or favor) any type of product, post or thread. If anything, Steve has always been very open-minded regarding the forums & we do our best to emulate him. That being said...he doesn't appreciate those who don't follow the (very limited) guidelines & we do our best to insure that we don't disappoint him.

On a personal note...I have owned & used many Minolta products without ever having a problem with them.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:14 AM   #7

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
On a personal note...I have owned & used many Minolta products without ever having a problem with them.
Thanks Kalypso for you comments both in respect of this thread's subject & your personal experiences; the latter is most encouraging and just the kind of unbiased information that I'm seeking.

It's very easy for products to attract negative press; we complain when things go wrong but hardly ever praise them when they simply work as they're supposed to.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:53 PM   #8

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
DeanB wrote:
Quote:
I'd suggest we tread lightly though, as we don't want to let this thread turn into a 'Minolta Bashing Party'. If that happens, the Forum Monitor Gods might swoop down and make this thread disappear.
Kalypsso wrote:
"That's not likely . . ."
Thanks for jumping in here Kalypso (Forum Moderator). My "Forum Monitor Gods" comment was only expressing a mild caution,andwas also meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek as well. Please note my choice of words andthe smiley face in my original post.

As for myself, if this thread does turn into a 'bashing fest', and the Forum Moderators don't do anything about it, I'll just quietly withdraw from this thread. I'm sure that Catbells would agree that a'bashing fest' (whateverthe company name)is not the intent here.

Now ... let's get back tosubject, anddiscuss Minolta Reliability.

Dean
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:12 PM   #9

Well I've had nothing but, bad luck with Konica Minolta Digicams. Namely the Dimage z1. The first one I purchased went back to the Shop the very next Day after I bought it. Problem? Defective (Dead Pixel)LCD. They aggreed (or had to agree to exchange it as by German Lawwe have a14 Dayreturn Guarantee.So I was happy with my Dimage z1 MkII for about a Week (or so) then I started to notice a few Pixels either Die or turn White on me. :evil:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"That in and of itself didn't bug me as much as the prior Camera and I would have accepted it but for the Gunk (Dust, parts of Plastic Cogs?!?!) started appering behind the Lense where I couldn't clean it or shake it loose.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I sent this Camera stright off toKonicaMinoltafor repairs last Week. So now I have to wait to get my Camera back. I was thinking about getting a Dynay 7D latter this year but, with my current experiance I think the D7 just might be a tad over priced when compaird to the Nikon 7D. Plus the fact that my fath in Minolta is a bit shaky now. But I have to say the z1 is a danm good Camera when it does work...
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:44 PM   #10

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
". . . I'm not sure how valuable posting individual experiences will be . . ." Dean
I still feel this way, and believe that posting individual experiences may not be statistically significant. To make that approach meaningful, we would have to somehow poll a very large number of Minolta owners. Something that's just not possible here.

However, for what it's worth (zip?), I'll mention my own experience with Minolta products: I have only owned one Minolta system, but I've had it for many years now. A 7000i SLR, three Minolta lenses, and a Minoltaflash unit. The camera, lenses and flash have worked flawlessly, with no repairs and little maintenance, for ~ 16 years now.

All five of those Minolta products were made back in the late `80s. Since then, Minolta has gone through many changes, including almost going bankrupt, and then recently joining with Konica. Which brings up another thought;should we not also consider posting another thread;"Konica Reliability"?

Dean

P.S. I'm still looking for that Consumer Reports mag. with the "Brand Repair History" article.