Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1

Hello all, first post and I tried to search for this topic so please excuse if this is duplicating.

Bought my fiancee an A2 for Christmas; she moved up from her old 3.2 Z1 and she is quite a good macro photographer. Anyway, yesterday the A2 would not shut-off via the switch and the viewer went blank but the eyepiece was still on. She removed the batter and waited a couple hours and when re-installed the camera turned back on and now the viewer works and the eyepiece doesn't. Any suggestions? Might she remove the CF card, would that help? She is out of town at present and I haven't seen the camera.

Thanks,

Trout Guy

Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:07 AM   #2

Sounds likea faulty camera. With it being a new purchase, I wouldn't hesitatein returning straight back to the supplier for a replacement.

I had a Fuji 4700 that occasionally 'locked up'. Once the batteries were removed, the camera obviously powered down. It worked straight away when they were reinserted.

You could always try removing the CF cardwhich wouldeliminate that from the equation leaving just the basic camera; this wouldprove whether it'sthe cameraor not.

PS. You shouldn't have to wait more than a few moments once the batteries are removed. There shouldn't be any stored energy of significance that would keep things alive. Obviously any settings stored EERAM would be retained.

Check to see if there is a reset to default setting in the set up procedure which should clear the EERAM.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:21 AM   #3

Thanks for your response Catbells. I will call her this morning and suggest removing the card and also re-setting to defaults. This happened over the weekend so she could not contact KM for support; she will also be doing that tomorrow when they are available. Will re-post with the results.

TG
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:28 AM   #4

Has anyone done business with J&R Music World in Maspeth, NY? That's where I got the A2 and it arrived as promised and at the quoted price.

Problem is they shipped the camera on 12/27 and it was received on the 29th (belated Christmas gift to my fiancee) and she didn't get to open it til New Years Eve. Anyway we are a few days beyond J&R's 14 day return policy. We haven't been able to get ahold of KM tech help due to the weekend and I've alerted J&R Customer Service via email. Will place a follow-up call to them tomorrow but.....any advice, comments?

It would be much simpler if J&R replaced the A2 if it needs it than losing it for two months if we have to send it in to KM for repair.

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:39 AM   #5

OK, I'll answer a couple of my own questions. The CF card was removed from the A2 as well as the battery. After a couple hours all were re-inserted and the camera operated normally.

My fiancee did contact KM tech support and they said they had never heard of that particular problem before and issued her an RMA#. She has elected to use the camera awhile longer to see if the problem occurs again and if so, will RMA it to KM.

I called J&R in NY on the 17th and since the camera was five days over their 14 day return policy they declined to RMA it and exchange for another one. I thought some good will on their part would have gone a long way then they stated "well even if we wanted to RMA it, we no longer carry that model". Oh well!!

TG
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:09 PM   #6

Sorry to see you having problems with your supplier and hope your A2 is still ok.

I just wanted to comment on what appears to be a big problem with a lot of your on line retailers, (I'm in U.K. as you can see).

Firstly, in your case I would have thought that the 14 day return policy would only apply to an unwanted/ unsuitable but not defective item. Here this sort of thing is known as distance selling regulations. We have a cooling off period in which to decide if we would like to keep it or not. Just has to be returned unused and in original packaging.

Now when it comes to a faulty item, 14 days just does not cut it. Again, over here the contract is between the seller and the buyer and not the manufacturer, so a faulty camera would be dealt with by the seller. Up to them to repair, replace or return to the manufacturer.

I often wish we could have your prices in the U.K, it seems that whenever I want something for, say, £100.00, you always get it for $100.00 At todays exchange rate that £100 is $187.00. Work that one out !

But it seems for the very good prices you all get, you have to put up with a lot of shyster dealers.And as for "well even if we wanted to RMA it, we no longer carry that model" ........Bulls**t, the camera, as far as they knew at the time, was faulty. The onus should be on them to source another A2, find an equivalent if you were amenable to that, arrange repairs for youor refund your money. That's how it works over here anyway !! I'm just sorry it appears not to be the way in the U.S. Rant over.

Again I do hope your girlfriend's A2 holds out. Had mine for about 7 months and can vaguely remember something like this happening once on mine. I did as you were advised, battery out, reset defaults on power up and not a problem since. The cause could have been something like a switch or dial not quite sitting where it should, you know, between settings. Frightened the living daylights out of me, but as I said nothing since.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:30 PM   #7

Stevekin,

Thanks for your reply Mate!! Yep, prices may be lower over here but it's always "caveat emptor" when dealing with the retailers. Some are known to be shysters, others have good reputations. Unfortunately for us, J&R's return policy is well stated and evidently they will not waiver from it. Up to the 14 days the merchandise can be returned for any reason but don't violate the period evidently. Yes, there could have been some little thing that was not just right on the A2 to cause it to act up...it is now behaving perfectly but the glitch is on record at KM and they have issued a return authorization should it become necessary. We just figured it would be worth a try to return to J&R as a replacement might have been sent out soon rather than having to send it in for repair at KM where it might have disappeared for eternity.

TG
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:09 AM   #8

We just may be lucky then, in that as I said the responsibility lies with the seller to sort the problem out. Only in recent times have they also had the responsibility to prove that a fault was not there in the first place and we can expect them to sort it within a reasonable time, say up to six months from purchase, then we would have to deal with manufacturers directly. Shame on J & R. Seems like they may trying to live up to the other J R in their business dealings :G

Anyway, at least you're on the starting block if it happens again. Hope not !

Stevekin.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:57 AM   #9

The 'return to manufacturer if product is defective' applies to most dealers. Some may elect to handle repairs inhouse, but most seem to require you deal with the manufacturer/distributer over a defective product.

I usually deal with B&H, and they have the same policy. In December I ordered the Sony FX1 and when it arrived it came with a notice to return the item to Sony if defective and NOT to the dealer.

The more reputable dealers have the 14 day no hassle return policy, so upon receiving any merchandise (such as a camera) I put it through it's paces during those first two weeks. Most defects will show up pretty quickly. Too many people get a new item, look at it and then let it sit, sometimes for months, before really using it. Then what do you do if a defect shows up? Best to test thoroughly, I think.

Declan

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:10 AM   #10

I appreciate that it's unlikely that a seller of this type of product is going to be in a position to repair in-house, just pointing out that in the U.K. we might expect them (the seller) to arrange this and also cover any costs as long as there is an actual fault. I was just surprised to see a business such as J & R's policy in this matter and I am relieved that we appear to have a slightly better system here to protect the buyer. I'm not crowing, just sorry for everyone on the other side of the pond.

Stevekin.