Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:08 PM   #11

Unfortunately it's sold out. They do have one each of the 46mm and 55mm 1.4x models however, soI orderedthe 55mm. I can get an adapter to use with it. This one shouldn't have the vignetting problems in the lower range either.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:30 PM   #12

Hey RA - sorry to hear that they sold out: maybe someone listened to the advice I gave on my original post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=50

Take a look at the link, I posted a few test shots taken from my grand's apartment. In fact the wide angle converter is not as bad as I originally believed it to be. The wide converter does extend the view quite a bit.

When you got everything set up and has time, please post some test shots and compare notes. Thanks!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:09 PM   #13

Interesting. The telephoto looks pretty good. I grabbed the 46mm and the 55mm so I can try both when I get a 55mm adapter. Shipping cost me CAN $24 since they had to ship two separate packages, but stilla good deal. I kind of regret not grabbing a WA as well...

Thosepictures were takenin newmarket?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:24 AM   #14

Yes it is newmarket, what a small world!! I live in upstate NY but visits toronto/ newmarket several times a year.

Sorry I should not have trashed the WA lens that much originally, if you can live with some barrel distortion (definitely not as bad as "fish-eye"!).

I hope your lens coupled with step-down ring will work as good as mine. Please post some test shots when you have everything. Buildings with straight edges are good for detecting barrels/ pin-cushions.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:42 PM   #15

Hey Riot Act - any luck with your Canon teleconverter(s)? Like to post some test shots?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:17 AM   #16

I haven't taken any serious test shots with the 46mm lenses since I plan on selling them and keeping the 55's ( I haven't received my 55mm adapter yet), although the 46mm telephoto is surprisingly good. I don't get any vignetting until I back off ~50% and there's no significant loss in IQ. Mine is only a 1.4x however.

The 46mm WA lens does have a fair amount of barrel distortion but I think the adapter ring contributes towards this since it offsets the lens another 2-3mm. The extra diameter of the 55mm should overcome this.

Here are the few pics I snapped in my backyard:

Here is the Normal wide angle

With the 46mm wide angle lens. Note significant distortion and vignetting.

Same picture processed with the barrel distortion reducer of Photobrush. Looks pretty good. Copy the pics to your hard drive and flick back and forth with ACDSEE and you can see the difference more clearly.

Here is the normal telephoto

Here it is with the 46mm 1.4x teleconverter. Not much of an increase but brings it up to the level of a Z3. DOF is reduced as you can see by the blurriness of the rock in the background.

I will post pics with the 55mm in a few days.

Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:30 AM   #17

Sweet! I totally forgot about barrel correction plugin in my Photoshop. Image is sharp throughout most of the field. Would you say the quality is "excellent" for a 10 buck lens?? Pity you can't get the 1.7X tele, and I hope you get better quality with the 55 mm.

I saw some sites still sell these Optura converters for $100-150!! - who wants to pay this price when the camcorder line is discontinued!! If you can sell for $40-45 each that should already cover original lens + shipping costs. I am quite sure some people catch on to use old camcorder converter lesn for digital cameras.

Thanks for posting the test shots, keep us informed!

BS
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:06 AM   #18

I grabbed anice WC-DC58 wide angle adapter for $10as well and they usually go for US$140-180.I should profit ~$50 from this and get a couple adapters to boot. :G
Old May 1, 2005, 1:03 PM   #19

Hey RA,

Got your 55 mm step down ring to test out your 55 mm converters yet? I may regret not to get the 55 mm WA instead, if it does indeed compensate for the vignetting because of larger diameter.

BS
Old May 2, 2005, 6:48 PM   #20

Theoretically there should be no vignetting on the 55but the ~3mm converter offset mitigates this to a large degree, so, there is about 50% less. If I could get a converter that wraps around the front of the camera with a depth of ~3 mm, it would work great. The real advantage to the 55mm is better clarity around the edges. Barrel distortion appears to be about the same but it's probably a little less.