Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:06 PM   #1

Hello everybody

Recently I purchased a Z2 and it looks like every thing is OK.

I also bought a 58mm X2 telephoto lens (from Opteka). To attach the lens to the Z2, they gave me an adapter tube to 52mm and an adapter ring to 58mm.

The problem with the telephoto, is that, at full zoom, it is imposible to focus further than 10mts even if I use the manual focus and set it to infinite. (feels like I need a more infinite focus thanmy Z2 have !!!)

When, at full zoom and the focus in the infinite position, I touch a little the zoom to a wider position (left), I see the image clearly for a little moment. When the motor inside the Z2 stops I see unfocussed images again.

It looks like a Z2 focus system problem?

Any of you have any ideas?

Thanks a lot !!!

(I'm from spain so, sorry for my english:?!!!)
jo_que_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:45 AM   #2

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer? Opteka is generally regarded as an inferior brand of optics, however, your problem sounds a little different than optical quality.

You should have stuck with a quality outfit like raynox

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:39 AM   #3

At first I thought that was a lens problem, because the Z2 itself works OK

But what would you think if you see a clear imagewhile you are making little movements with the ZOOM !!!!

Another thing, is that ifI take the lens and look through it with my eyes I see no distorsion an everything is focused (and bigger!!)

Could it be a mechanical/software problem ofmy Z2.

I'm thinking in change the Z2 for a new Z3. Can anybody tell me if the adapter tube will be the same (I've got some filters an another macro and x.5 lens that work ok and it will be great if they also work with the Z3)
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:06 AM   #4

Have you tried manual focus?
loinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

Keep in mind, too, that your eyes have autofocus--when you look through that lens with just your eye, you're not getting an accurate indication of the lens' focusing ability or focal length because your eye will do its best to focus what it sees.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:38 PM   #6

Hello loinen.Yes, I've tried with manual focus from few cm's to infinite and nothing but a totally unfocussed image .

Hello Tom LaPrise, I didn't think about that...

But taking it into account, it means that my eyes focus has more dynamic range than the Z2 has. (I'm glad of that !!!). And it confirms that it will be a problem(or limitation) of my Z2 ?

Am I right?

I also tried to locate the lens at several diferent distances from the Z2 (to test if the problem comes from the adapter tube...) but I allways get the same results.

The most annoying thing is that when I touch a little the zoom it comes clear for a little while !!!

Does anybody use a Z2 with a x2 telephoto lens?

thanks a lot to all !!!!!
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:59 PM   #7

I herar alot abot these Raynox Lenses are they realy that good?!? I mean I do beleave in getting what you pay for I only spent about €65.00(EUR) or $87.00(USD) for my Digital Concepts (0.5x Wide & 2x Tele), off of eBay.com. The 0.5 Wide Angle shows some Barrel Distortion(but, I'd have expectedso much). I'm not to big on the 2x Tele though.

Basicly I'm asking around if anyone has these Lenses and a suitableleCamera**(Dimage) ** and are willing to take a few shots with (and more importantly), without this Lense attachment so that mw might have an idea of what we could expect from these Lenses? I mean $195.00(USD) - €150.00(EUR) is a big investmentto make. I meanI'd like to see I some real world Photos first.
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:07 AM   #8

jo_que_se wrote:
Quote:
Hello Tom LaPrise, I didn't think about that...

But taking it into account, it means that my eyes focus has more dynamic range than the Z2 has. (I'm glad of that !!!). And it confirms that it will be a problem (or limitation) of my Z2 ?

Am I right?
Your eyes' focus will be more accurate and (until you're my age?) faster than the Z2's autofocus. The human brain/eye assemblyis a much better judge of accurate focus than a contrast-sensing program/lens/motor assembly.

I can't speak specifically for the Z2, but my Z1 sometimes has trouble focusing at full optical zoom on subjects (airplanes, etc.) against a bright background or in low light. A scene that's too bright apparently swamps the autofocus system, and a scene that's too dark might not give it enough to work with. I wonder if that might be the problem. A 2x add-on lens effectively cuts your aperture in half--doubling the f/number, so the amount of light getting to the sensor is cut to 1/4 of what it would be without the tele--and even though the LCD will brighten to compensate, there might not be enough light for the autofocus to work properly, so it guesses. As the lens assembly moves around looking for a good focus, it passes through the actual focus point, so you see a brief sharp image; the camera apparently doesn't think that's where the focus is.

(Something else comes to mind as I look at my Z1: There's a focus-assist thing under the flash. It looks like two little windows. Maybe that's "seeing" the back of your add-on lens and confusing the camera. Try covering that thing with your finger and see if you can get a good focus with the telephoto attached.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:16 AM   #9

jo_que_se wrote:
Quote:
... and an adapter ring to 58mm.
I was just thinking...
Could that adapter ring be the reason? Usually these lenses are ment to be as close to cameras lens as possible. And these adapters are usually 4-5 mm thick, so the lens isn't close enough?
So can you try to take picture without that step-up ring and hold the lens with your hand in front of camera's lens?

loinen is offline   Reply With Quote