Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

Is there any way that you can take a picture with a 30 second shutter speed at ISO 200 on the A2? I was taking pictures of the Northern Lights last night, and I couldn't get anything over 15 seconds at ISO 200 (which I needed to have, because the "lights" were not real bright). I had to use my D7Hi in order to get a 20-30 second exposure that I needed at ISO 200 or 400.
Thanks!
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8
Default

wereyou inmanual mode on the a2? according to the specs on minolta's site , you should have been able to do 30 sec exposures. in manual mode , iwould think it would care what the iso is.
FrankDawsonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

FrankDawsonJr wrote:
Quote:
were you in manual mode on the a2? according to the specs on minolta's site , you should have been able to do 30 sec exposures. in manual mode , iwould think it would care what the iso is.
Yup, I was in manual mode. @ ISO 100 and 64 I can do 30 seconds, ISO 200 I can do 16, ISO 400 I can do 8, and ISO 800 I can do 4. I guess I will just have to use my 7Hi (which will do 30 seconds regardless of the ISO) for taking northern lights pics :sad:.
Is ther ANY WAY to get a shutter speed longer than 16 seconds at ISO 200 with my A2?
Thanks,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
CastleDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 321
Default

I forgot to try this on mine last night but it might work. Set it to ISO100 and use the EV compensation to get you to ISO 200... Shoot in RAW and use the Minolta or Adobe RAW converter to adjust it back up.

Some people are even saying that this gives them better results (less noise).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
I forgot to try this on mine last night but it might work. Set it to ISO100 and use the EV compensation to get you to ISO 200... Shoot in RAW and use the Minolta or Adobe RAW converter to adjust it back up.

Some people are even saying that this gives them better results (less noise).
Okay, I will try that! Thanks
I won't worry about the EVF, I can't see anything through it at night anyway :?
Thanks again!
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:38 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
Default

Use a cable release and use bulb, time the exposure manually
storksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

storksb wrote:
Quote:
Use a cable release and use bulb, time the exposure manually
I was doing both
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CastleDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 321
Default

FYI I did the EV trick on mine and it worked. I did have to set it to shutter priority but then I was able to set it to 30 sec and set the EV to whatever I wanted.

If you have any of your pics of the "lights". I'd really like to see them we don't get them down here in So. Cal....
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
FYI I did the EV trick on mine and it worked. I did have to set it to shutter priority but then I was able to set it to 30 sec and set the EV to whatever I wanted.

If you have any of your pics of the "lights". I'd really like to see them we don't get them down here in So. Cal....
ok, I will try that as soon as i get a chance. Thanks!
Here is one pic that I got of the aurora wiht my 7Hi
Its not very good, as there wasn't much color in the sky that night.
And. . .I think you will be pleased to know that KM cameras work very well at sub -30ºF temps :lol: (I had my 7Hi out for almost an hour, and it never even went through a complete set of 2300Mah batteries, and my A2 did just as well).
Attached Images
 
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:04 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8
Default

Wow..awesome picture...!! sure looks pretty up there in alaska., but at 30 below zero, i think i'll stay here in delaware where its 30 degrees above zero right now, so I'll just admire yours from afar.:blah:



Frank
FrankDawsonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:25 AM.