Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:20 PM   #1

I am another digital photography beginner. (Disposable cameras have been my thing) I have had my Z3 for exactly one month now, and I have noticed that sometimes it takes the flash two or three minutes to charge. Of course this causes me to miss some great opportunities. Is it something that I am doing wrong or a defect in my camera?
nealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2

What kind of batteries are you using?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:42 AM   #3

I am using NiMh rechargeable batteries. I just learned from this website that there are different kinds. Mine are 2000, but the website recommended 2100. I'm not quite sure what that means, but do you suspect that this is the problem?
nealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4

It COULD be the problem if they were very low, but I am pretty sure thats not it. Any other Z3 owners have this problem??
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:32 AM   #5

Recharging the flash may take a few (upto 4) sec on my cam. Depends on:

-Intensity of previous flash (more intense, more recharging)
-With full fresh batteries charging seems to go faster

The number 2000 or 2100 indicates the amount of energy in the batteries. This corresponds to the amount of photos you can take with a charge. I myself use 2300 mAh batteries.
Battery quality may indeed influence flash recycle times as batteries behave differently in energy supply when being stressed during high load (i.e. flash charging) This does not mean that batteries with higher mAh number are "better/faster" than those with lower numbers. That depends on the voltage drop when the battery is stressed, anothe quality aspect.
freubelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:12 PM   #6

I'm using Uniross 2300 and GP 2300, both batteries performing really well, and until battery indicator show full battery it takes about 2-3 seconds to recharge.
I don't have any 2000mah set now, but I should get one from Powerex in few days, if you'd like I can post my experience with it as well.
But I suspect that it's not accu problem, but rather some kind of bug in the camera:-\ hopefully I'm wrong
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:02 PM   #7

sensovision wrote:
Quote:
I'm using Uniross 2300 and GP 2300, both batteries performing really well, and until battery indicator show full battery it takes about 2-3 seconds to recharge.
I don't have any 2000mah set now, but I should get one from Powerex in few days, if you'd like I can post my experience with it as well.
But I suspect that it's not accu problem, but rather some kind of bug in the camera:- hopefully I'm wrong
It must be something wrong with the camera. . .probably. My cameras all take about 1-4 seconds to charge the flash, with low battery it can sometimes take up to 10 seconds MAX (My S414 does that with alkalines :lol
you could try using a different set of batteries or connecting it to a AC adapter (then my cameras take less than half a second to charge). . .and contacting KM
Hope that helps,
max
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:03 PM   #8

I reckon my z3 takes longer to charge the flash compared to the Z1 I had - same batteries used.
DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9

Also make sure your batteries are on a good charger and that they've been through a few use cycles. When I first get a NiMh set they don't last very long and stress easily but after a few charges they are doing very well indeed.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:49 AM   #10

Use the highest mA rated batteries you can find. Currently in the shops arround 2850 mA which gives you about 30% more juice over the 2000's you currently use. I tend to upgrade batteries every year (sell the old ones) and get the biggest I can find. Think of this: I used to run my old CP950 on 1200 mA NiMh Sony's. Usually managed to squeeze out almost 200 shots. With the latest 2850's Ican makewell over 300 shots!
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote