Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

*sigh*
My DiMAGE 7Hi came back from the shop (after over 4 months with it away from me) And I used it. . .loved it. . . and took about 2,000 pics with it. Now, it (sometimes, probably 1 in 20 times) when I turn it on, the red access light comes on, but the rest of the camera is totally dead, and the only way I can shut it off (even though its not really on) is to remove the batteries :sad:. Also, there got to be a "crack" in the rubber eyepeice and so I carefully glued that back on, but a matching crack appeared on the top, and now half of my rubber eyepeice is missing.. While the camera still functions fine without it, it looks kinda ugly :lol:. I dearly do NOT want to send this camera in AGAIN, and I can live with the random freezes, but does anyone know if there is ANY way that I can replace this rubber eyepeice myself, or get any sort of replacement?
Thanks!
max

P.S. if I I do have to send it in to Minolta, how long could I expect it to take?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:41 PM   #2

Wow, four months. I had a 7I that I sent back about three times and it normally took about 6 wks each time. With calling them first and getting an RMA number I wouldn't think it would normally have taken that long. They were very quick to respond back to me, but the problems were also not fixed. In all fairness this was during the KM merger so I am sure that probably affected there lack of fixing the issues.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If the problems have not been addressed, you might want to push them and speak to a supervisor to see what your options are.After numersous trips to service they did replace the 7I with a7HI at no costexcept for the hassleof sending the camera back andforth.I had to do a detailed letter, request escallation and include pictures showing the flaws in the camera. I might be inviting some bad comments but the 7HI never met my expectations and I ended up selling it after so many problems never really addressed. The focus on my 7HI was never very accurate and I had a large percentage of out of focus shots and the camera had a really hard time getting locked in for close macro shots. I was begining to think it was me until I bought another camera that was actually less expensive but worked great. Its very rare that I get a blurry shot any more and all the shortcomings with the 7HI weren't there on the new camera style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000".

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just my opinon for what its worth.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:49 AM   #3

I don't doubt that every camera manufacturer has lemons but I've bought & owned Minolta cameras for 12 years & never had a problem. I would bet that the percentage rate for returns per units made is close to the same for all the major camera makers (Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus & Pentax).

I know some people will scream foul but everybody doesn't make cameras (do you think your TV tube & screens were made by RCA, Sylvania, Magnavox...etc)?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:46 AM   #4

host wrote:
Quote:
Wow, four months. I had a 7I that I sent back about three times and it normally took about 6 wks each time. With calling them first and getting an RMA number I wouldn't think it would normally have taken that long. They were very quick to respond back to me, but the problems were also not fixed. In all fairness this was during the KM merger so I am sure that probably affected there lack of fixing the issues.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If the problems have not been addressed, you might want to push them and speak to a supervisor to see what your options are. After numersous trips to service they did replace the 7I with a 7HI at no cost except for the hassle of sending the camera back and forth. I had to do a detailed letter, request escallation and include pictures showing the flaws in the camera. I might be inviting some bad comments but the 7HI never met my expectations and I ended up selling it after so many problems never really addressed. The focus on my 7HI was never very accurate and I had a large percentage of out of focus shots and the camera had a really hard time getting locked in for close macro shots. I was begining to think it was me until I bought another camera that was actually less expensive but worked great. Its very rare that I get a blurry shot any more and all the shortcomings with the 7HI weren't there on the new camera style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000".

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just my opinon for what its worth.
The only reason that it took 4 months, was that it had to go through Mack warrenty service, and they were the hold up (once it actually went to KM it was done within a couple of weeks) but I am thinking if I DO have to send it in again . . .just to skip Mack and go strait to KM (I guess that won't be covered by the 5 year extended warrenty I got from Mack. . .but I would rather pay the 200 bucks or so than wait that long again!!!)
Does anyone know anything about the rubber eyepiece?
Or about the camera lock ups?
The camera also would turn on, then when I go to focus, or zoom or something turns off and then says ERR on the data panel. I thought this may be kinda the same problem as when it plain just locks up (with nothing on the data panel at all) but now I am not so sure. . .
I am still a proud supporter of KM cameras!!
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

I've sent my A1 in 3 times over the past 18 months. One of those times was because they failed to fix a problem the first time (they have also been known to do this - they send the camera back stating it has been "cleaned" but don't diagnose the problem reported - even when submitted in writing).
It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks as I recall. I'm getting ready to send it back in again (it now hangs sometimes when I take pictures - about 10% of the time when I am using the flash - have to remove the battery and reboot to recover). I'm waiting for a Nikon 8800 I just ordered to come in before I send it back again. I really liked everything about the A1 - except for the fact it spends a fair percentage of time getting reparied - unfortunately - since I got burned with an unreliable product - and TERIBLE service history (multiple returns necessary to fix a problem) - I'll never purchase a KM camera again. I'll continue to use the A1 when it isn't in the shop - but I have somewhat been forced to buy the Nikon so I have something I can use while the A1 is being repaired. Perhaps I just got stuck with a "lemon" but if KM felt this way - they should have replaced the camera rather than patching it up to last another few months before the next repair.
cdarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:16 PM   #6

I had to send my z1 to the KM repair Center earlier this Month I sent it out on the Seventh (a Friday), I got a letter back fromKM stating they received it on the Tenth (Monday), I finaly recived my z1 Back on the Eight-teenth (Tuesday), So they were fairly quick about it.

The strange thing is that they did not give me a RMA Number. A simple fact that Iremarked upon only after I had sent itback to them. But, to be fair the KM represenitve told me that I only needed to send the Camera w/Lenscap,and the Warrantee Card into them. I wonder if I followed the proper channels now. I did try calling KM Germany, but after wating after Five Minutes to talk to someone.I decided to call the Repair Center Directly. I got in touch with a Human almost immediately! At which point I explained the Problems I was having. (Traped Dirt inside the Lense). At which point I was offerd the opportunity to send it back to them.

Compaird to some of the things I've heard / read about KM Service I guess I can really thank my Stars, that I didn't have to wait so long!
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:08 PM   #7

Also see the related thread 'Minolta Reliability', where the results of three large surveys on product quality, reliability, repairs, etc. are posted:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote