Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

I'm pretty much set on buying the a200. Actually I was originally going to purchase the a2, but have been mulling over the options and in the meantime the a200 has come out. (I considered the Nikon coolpix 8800, the Olympus C8080, the Canon Powershot Pro 1, etc), the only remaining question I have, and this embodies mymain concern, is about the image size. I haven't come across much specific info about this. I know some cameras are very good on image compression, etc. And while I like the options available as far as high image quality, but for regular shooting I will go with a fairly medium image size. In what file sizes does the camera store images in relation to various media? For instance, I don't want to purchase an 8 megapixel camera only to find out that I can only get a ridiculously low amount on a 256 or higher card. My little Olympus that I currently use stores normal jpgs (1600x1200x24) at between 3-500 kb per photo. How much larger will the jpgs be with the a200? I would appreciate the input. Thank you.
john4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:32 AM   #2

john4us wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty much set on buying the a200. Actually I was originally going to purchase the a2, but have been mulling over the options and in the meantime the a200 has come out. (I considered the Nikon coolpix 8800, the Olympus C8080, the Canon Powershot Pro 1, etc), the only remaining question I have, and this embodies my main concern, is about the image size. I haven't come across much specific info about this. I know some cameras are very good on image compression, etc. And while I like the options available as far as high image quality, but for regular shooting I will go with a fairly medium image size. In what file sizes does the camera store images in relation to various media? For instance, I don't want to purchase an 8 megapixel camera only to find out that I can only get a ridiculously low amount on a 256 or higher card. My little Olympus that I currently use stores normal jpgs (1600x1200x24) at between 3-500 kb per photo. How much larger will the jpgs be with the a200?
Good question. When you say image size, I assume you're referring to the file size of the picture in relation to the storage capacity of your memory card. This info is straight from the A200 user manual:

The A200 is capable of capturing the following image sizes (going from smallest to largest): 640x480, 1600x1200, 2080x1560, 2560x1920, 3264x2176 (3:2), & 3264x2448. The A200 also has the following image quality settings (going from maximum compression to no compression): Standard, Fine, Extra Fine, RAW+JPEG, RAW.

Image quality and image size, as well as the complexity of the scene, will certainly affect the file size of the picture. Files sizes range from as high as 11.4MB for an uncompressed RAW image at maximum image size, to a 520KB file for a highly compressed Standard image @ 1600x1200.

On average, expect file sizes to be around 3.5MB for Fine pictures at maximum resolution.

I would expect files sizes to be roughly the same from all the other cameras in the 8.0MP-class you mentioned above.

Your best bet would be to invest in a new flash card of at least 512MB, with 1GB or more being ideal, if you decide on any of the cameras in this class. A high-speed memory card is highly recommended, as the larger file sizes of 8.0MP pictures results in longer read/write times to the card. The Lexar Professional 1GB 80x CF card is a good choice, and can be purchased for around $100 online. At Fine quality on maximum image resolution, you can store about 250 pictures to a 1GB card with the A200, less if you plan on shooting video as well.

Good luck!
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:09 AM   #3

Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. You answered my question completely, that's what I wanted to know.
john4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:07 PM   #4

I'm not 100% sure of this, but...

All of these cameras use the JPEG compression algorithm, which was not developed by any of these companies. They all use the same algorithm, which allows them to turn the compression up (you throw away high frequency content which the human eye cannot even detect). So a 3.5 meg file from a KM camera and a 3.5 meg file from a Sony should have the same relative quality (as long as the original image was the same quality).

BTW, I've had the A200 for a few days now and if I turn the quality all the way up and the megapixels to 8, I've seen images as small as 2.5 megs and no higher than 4 megs. It all depends on what is in the image. Nature pics tend to have alot of detail (leaves, branches) so it cannot compress them as much and you'll probably see 5-6 megs.

I also took a few 5 megapixel images at the max compression ("standard" haha) and they were 500-800kbs.

Oh yeah the 1.1 megabyte/sec rating for 640x480 30fps video is about right. If you plan on taking any videos with your camera you will need a 1 gig card. Get at least the 40x.
queson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:02 PM   #5

john4us wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. You answered my question completely, that's what I wanted to know.
No problem. Glad I could help.

BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote