Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:53 PM   #21

You guys crack me up.:G
It is obvious that if your going to be putting really any sort of wear and tear on your camera (as in regular outdoor work) it is best to spend the little more, and get a SSCF card. However if your only going to be sitting indoors taking pictures all day, a microdrive will work great.
They both have pros and cons.
:lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:22 PM   #22

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
It is obvious that if your going to be putting really any sort of wear and tear on your camera (as in regular outdoor work) it is best to spend the little more, and get a SSCF card. However if your only going to be sitting indoors taking pictures all day, a microdrive will work great.
You got that right.

With any luck, A.T. will have learned a valuable lesson here, which is to get his facts straight and develop a cohesive argument BEFORE he hits the 'SEND' button...

:G
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:45 PM   #23

BoneDaddy wrote:
Quote:
KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
You got that right.

With any luck, A.T. will have learned a valuable lesson here, which is to get his facts straight and develop a cohesive argument BEFORE he hits the 'SEND' button...

:G
lol:lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:14 PM   #24

I also are interest in at least a 4 gig microdrive

I see them for sale on ebay(Australia) AU$300 about US$230 missed out on a 5gig one which sold at AU$255 2nd hand

My googling seems to indicate Seagate are about to enter this field of dedicated more robust drives for digitals

My main reason for wanting 4gig to 5gig is its easy and cheap to back up to recordable DVD drives when full (Which hold 4.7 gig)

A friend of mine uses a 4 gig microdrive from a "Creative Nomad MuVo2 4GB USB 2.0 MP3 Player" (one on USa ebay for auction now presently going for US$100) which works well on a Sony 828 He uses this camera caving mainly, but also white water rafting Kayaking etc (so it seem if care is taken they last)

The A200 also excels as a high quality video recorder and with 4-5gig microdrive you have hours of recording available You may even catch/make something like (better quality though)

http://www.findfish.nl/filmpjes/regis_fait_du_kayak.htm

petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:15 AM   #25

Be careful about pulling the microdrive out of a Creative Muvo. Around March or April last year, Creative changed their manufacturing to use a microdrive that IS NOT useable for image capture in digital cameras.

I have not personally verified that, as I got my microdrives out of Muvo's prior to that change. However, now, the cost of Hitachi 4GB MD's is less than I paid for my Muvo's back in January 2004. You might just want to buy the real thing and save yourself a lot of potential headaches.

All of my MD's are still being used on a daily basis without any problems. So anyone who thinks they are too fragile or otherwise problematic, simply has no personal experience and is speaking from hearsay. The fact is that many professional photographers use MD's on a daily basis, so contrary to the statement above, they do handle heavy (pro) use very well.

Declan

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:32 AM   #26

Like many others, I have been using a 1G microdrive for a bit over 3 years with no problems.

Take a look at the cause of memory failure: almost all occur when the memory is out of the camera. Physical damage to a microdrive is pretty much impossible while it is in the camera unless you destroy the camera at the same time. If you are carefull, you are very unlikely to have problems with either kind of memory. If you are not carefull, you are at least as likely to break your camera as you are to damage your memory.

I haven't been able to find a reference to the newer drives, but one restriction on microdrives is altitude. They use air as a lubricant. They get dicey over about 10,000ft/3,000m.

For sure a micro drive is more likely to fail because it has moving parts, perhaps twice (made up number) as likely. But keep in mind that twice almost zero (the amount solid state fails) is still a very small number.

Price is the reason to consider a microdrive. Do your own shopping and decide for yourself if the price difference is enough for you to get a microdrive.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:41 AM   #27

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Like many others, I have been using a 1G microdrive for a bit over 3 years with no problems.

Take a look at the cause of memory failure: almost all occur when the memory is out of the camera. Physical damage to a microdrive is pretty much impossible while it is in the camera unless you destroy the camera at the same time. If you are carefull, you are very unlikely to have problems with either kind of memory. If you are not carefull, you are at least as likely to break your camera as you are to damage your memory.

I haven't been able to find a reference to the newer drives, but one restriction on microdrives is altitude. They use air as a lubricant. They get dicey over about 10,000ft/3,000m.

For sure a micro drive is more likely to fail because it has moving parts, perhaps twice (made up number) as likely. But keep in mind that twice almost zero (the amount solid state fails) is still a very small number.

Price is the reason to consider a microdrive. Do your own shopping and decide for yourself if the price difference is enough for you to get a microdrive.
Good points, Bill.

It is important to note that the instance of many microdrive failures happened when users were inserting or removing the drive from their cameras or card readers. Users would put too much pressure on the casing where the drive head existed, thus squeezing the innards and making the heads contact the platter. POOF! Drive (and data) destroyed.

Hitachi has corrected that problem from the original IBM design and has taken additional steps to make the drives more durable. The result is a drive design that is much more robust than its predecessor.

A buyer should keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Microdrives are cheaper by the megabyte, but you pay for that savings with lower performance and durability. On the other hand, compact flash is more expensive per megabyte, but the cards are practically indestructible and have performance that leaves microdrives in the dust. If the user has a camera or card reader that can take full advantage of the performance of a high-speed compact flash card, intends on doing some heavy-duty card-swapping, and has the cash, a flash card may be the better choice. However, if large amounts of storage is required for your work, there's no cheaper way to go than with a microdrive.

One solution, if your camera and card readers allow, is to have BOTH formats: a flash card AND a microdrive. Both serve their purposes.

:|
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote