Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:34 AM   #1
sae

Hi!

Ijust got an a200, and noticed that the pictures taken with the built in flash were a bit washed out. I changed the white balance setting to "flash", and noticed a big improvement.

This would be OK, except for the fact that I thought that the "Auto" WB setting was supposed to identify the presence of the flash, and essentially set itself for that situation.In fact, this does not seem to be happening, as the picturs set manually to "flash" seem better.

Am I doing something wrong in the auto WB mode? Maybe theres a way to remedy the situation without going to the "flash" setting? I am not a pro, so any guidance would be appreciated.

If there isn't a better way in auto, what gives?

Thanks

Steve

sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:37 PM   #2

Steve--

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new A200!

I also have an A200 and I noticed the auto WB doesn't seem to be as "automatic" as it could be. I too noticed washed-out pics with the flash. I compensated for that by bumping down the flash exposure a few steps and that helped a lot.

I'd like to think that for the most part the auto WB is doing its job. But in other situations it fails to automatically adjust the white balance at all, or at least not enough to save the picture. For example, indoor shots with indirect incandescent lighting produces horribly yellow pictures unless I manually set WB to the Tungsten setting (where the auto WB should be doing that for me, or at least making a valiant effort to compensate).

Good luck!
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:06 AM   #3
sae

OK - so I'm not (that) crazy...

What I have doneto compensate is: Ihave saved a general "Indoor flash" setup to one of the memory positions...
sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:50 AM   #4

BoneDaddy wrote:
Quote:
Steve--

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new A200!

I also have an A200 and I noticed the auto WB doesn't seem to be as "automatic" as it could be. I too noticed washed-out pics with the flash. I compensated for that by bumping down the flash exposure a few steps and that helped a lot.

I'd like to think that for the most part the auto WB is doing its job. But in other situations it fails to automatically adjust the white balance at all, or at least not enough to save the picture. For example, indoor shots with indirect incandescent lighting produces horribly yellow pictures unless I manually set WB to the Tungsten setting (where the auto WB should be doing that for me, or at least making a valiant effort to compensate).

Good luck!
I have the same problem - both with my A200 and with my Canon PowerShot A80.
janniklindquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:09 PM   #5

Hi sae

Good question and something I find too on my a200. But if you take a photo of a person on a sunny day and use your flash as a fill-in to soften harsh shadows then if the AWB detected the use of the flash then the camera would always bias the balance to the flash rather than thesunny day. Hope that makes sense.

At least our A200 has such control to force the WB to flash when we truly are using the flash for a good exposure.
gogogo5 is offline   Reply With Quote