Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:21 PM   #1

Default GT lens

I just got the new issue of Minolta UK's magazine and it has an editorial about the GT lens on the D7 range. In short, to get the equivalent of the 28-200mm lens on a digital SLR you would need arms like King Kong to carry the camara and lens combo as the lens would be massive. As in very long and very very wide. Personally I think Minolta will stick with "prosumer" type cameras in the short term, until some semblance of normality and interchangeability comes into the marketplace. 4/3 might do the trick, but I think it will be way too expensive and never get down to the cheap price that 35mm SLRs have.

After 18 months I'm still the very happy owner of an upgraded D7, with truck loads of photos taken, more experiments every day, still new combinations of gizmos to try out, and not a cent spent on film. I can see me using it for a few years yet.
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:07 AM   #2

David,
Do you know by any chance what "GT" stand for ? ( not for "Grand Tourismo" I guess )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:22 AM   #3

I also wish I knew what the GT designation refers to. If they are talking about the same lens that is on my 7i, then the article exagerates the comparison to an interchangeable lens, in my opinion. The Canon 28-200mm zoom lens is quite compact and only weighs about a pound. It is a little slower, f3.5-5.6, and that means less glass than if it were 2.8-3.5, but I am betting the optics are every bit as good or better. By the way, I saw a piece on somebody's web site that showed that in actual tests, the D7xx lens is not really 7X zoom, but more like 6.7X, if I recall the figure accurately.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:21 PM   #4

Good times sounds right for it.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:28 AM   #5
NHL

Guys

Actually: 200mm / 28mm = 7.14x (or 50.8mm / 7.2mm = 7.05x)

GT stand for G 'Technology' reserved for Minolta film high-end G series lenses line (ie expensive APO or wide aperture 'G' series, sometime in white finish for heat control). It's why there's no CA as in other lenses... From former Nikon owners I can understand, but rikster ops: you must have too much Good Time :lol: me too!!!

Quote:
The high-precision GT Lens includes Minolta's original technology for minimizing various types of imperfections, such as color aberration and curvilinear distortion.
http://www.dimage.minolta.com/d7hi/01.html

What I've noticed is Minolta has done a very poor job of marketing their cameras, and most reviewers have done a poor middle of the road analysis of the D7's features that are commmon to others while ignoring all its other qualities that differ theses cameras from others:

1. Minolta has several color modes: Natural and Vivid sRGB. in Vivid one can have the effects of Nikon's red and Sony's saturation combined but I doubt any owner will use it. Most Minolta buyers will opt for the NaturalsRGB or AdobeRGB with a flatter color (on PC screen only sRGB, and not on MAC or others Unix based worstations) for more latitude in Photoshop editing:
Quote:
Adobe RGB has a wider scope of colors than sRGB, and as a result produces images that are better suited for hue compensation and color profile adjustment. Adobe RGB also lets you make the most of your printer's gamut of reproducible colors
2. The B/W mode with 11 color filters settings is rarely mentioned, if not reviewed at all by most write-ups!

3. Portrait, Sports, Sunset, Night, and Text modes all have different color profiles (look through the EVF, and turn the wheel mode, you'll see the color change from: cool, warm, contrasty etc...) that doesn't get mentioned in any reviews, and get buried in small footnotes in Minolta own owner's manual! BTW check the drive mode as well they automatically change depending on the Portrait, Sports, Sunset, Night, and Text selected...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:31 AM   #6

NHL

"Actually: 200mm / 28mm = 7.14x (or 50.8mm / 7.2mm = 7.05x)"

Your math is correct, but I was referring to somthing I read that would indicate that it is not acutally a 28-200 range. Of course this is just one opinion (?) and the methodology might be flawed, but it looks like he gave some thought to the testing. Check it out at:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...al_length.html

Now that you have explained what a GT lens is, I understand the point of the original post. Thanks.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:04 AM   #7

jut to add a little info on this subject. way back when people actually used film and cameras with interchangeable lenses. pop photogaphy would test thes lenses. it would turn out thay a 20mm lens was actuall 22.35mm. manufacturers will round up or down the values of these lenses. its easier to say 20-35 f2.8 rather than 22.34- 36.75 f2.93. its been going on for longer than i can remember.

so if you have all this time to calculate all this stuff your not spending enough time using it. go out and take pictures.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:57 AM   #8
NHL

charlibob & sjms

All good points here... I wonder if my car really has a 3.0 liter engine, or if the 2x4 I'm getting from Home depot is really 2x4 :lol: :lol: :lol: let me take a picture!
Old Nov 21, 2002, 6:14 PM   #9
NHL

Default G- series lenses

The Minolta site is finally up today (no HTTP/1.1 404 error):

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...Lenses#gseries