Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:09 AM   #1
sae

I just went to Konica Minolta's site and sent them a request for a Firmware patch for the A200's software related problems (bad auto white balance for flash, idiosyncratic memory setting retention in P,S,A & M modes).

Based on the corrections implemented in the A2's firmware patch, I don't see why the above problems (and others???) can't be patched in the a200.

Maybe if enough of us ask them, it will happen, and soon.

So, if you own an a200, or want to, or have nothing better to do today, please go to konicaminolta.com and ask them for a firmware patch.

Steve
sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:08 AM   #2

sae wrote:
Quote:
I just went to Konica Minolta's site and sent them a request for a Firmware patch for the A200's software related problems (bad auto white balance for flash, idiosyncratic memory setting retention in P,S,A & M modes).
I've read in these forums about flash white balance even though I've yet to experience it, but perhaps you could enlighten us about the idiosyncratic memory setting retention problem; Auto mode ALWAYS resets to default settings but other modes, P certainly, should retain their settings.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:42 AM   #3
sae

OK - sorry - here's what the problem is:

In order to get around the white balance problem, I have memory register 1 set to use the "Flash" white balance setting. When I switch back to P, that "Flash" setting stays - in P!!!- even though P was previouslyset toAuto WB.... This happens when it is swtiched to S, A or M as well.

Is this a bug? I don't know for sure. I can imagine that some people may like the fact that some of the settings stay... However, it is odd.

There is a quick fix, however: Look at pages 93 and 134 of the manual.

On page 93 it mentions the "recording mode reset" menu selection. This resets P, A, S and M to their default values (see page 93 for more details). It leaves the memory registers untouched, however. Whew.

Even better, on page 134 we are told of a shortcut for the reset feature - just press shift and the Quickview/Delete button. This works pretty well.

Even though these workaround solutions exist, it be a whole lot better if the Auto WB would kick in effectively, activating the Flash WB settingwhen the flash is popped up, and deactivate when it is dropped, which would mean that I wouldn't need to use a memory register in the first place...
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:05 PM   #4

I just checked my A200 for the settings problem you encountered and I don't see what you mention. As an example, last night I took it to an indoor motorcross event where the riders were doing stunts and back-flips, etc. I set up the white balance, color and contrast to what looked good to me. (the white balance looked best at "cloudy", for there was plenty of light inside, but way out of flash range). I choose memory setting #4 because it was available. After reading your post, I went and looked and the settings on #4 are just like I had them last night, including white balance. When I go to my main setting (#1), it changes to Auto white balance, plus changes the color and ISO back to my "normal".

BTW, indoor motorcycles doing back flips in mid-air are a real challenge for a green horn like me! I had better luck using the video and capturing the frame (I cheated).
sahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:14 PM   #5
sae

Yes, you are correct - the problem doesn't exist from one memory register to another.

However, as I stated, it DOES existwhen you change fromany of the memory registers to either P,A,S or M.

Try it - and you'll see: Whatever settings were in your most recentlyused memory register, will be showing up under P,A,S or M when you switch to them.

Please let me know what happens when you try this.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:59 PM   #6

You are correct... it is just as you say. I just tested like you mentioned.

That is probably why last night when I switched to SPORTS mode, my pictures got worse. I had already changed WB and other things and assumed they were changing with the DSP dial when I went to SPORTS mode.
sahall is offline   Reply With Quote