Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:44 PM   #1

I placed my Z1 on the bathroom counter and it fell about 2.5-3 feet onto the rug on the floor.

I know, you're probably wondering what I was doing with my camera in the bathroom. I'm 9 months pregnant (actually overdue by 3 days) and I was going to take a picture of my belly thru the mirror.

Anyhoo, now my camera doesn't work!! The shutter is stuck out and is out of alignment, the viewfinder screen doesn't turn on, when I try to power on/off I can hear the shutter making a weird noise like it's trying to retract but can't. I've tried taking out the batteries and putting them back in....that didn't work. Any tips??? Anyone else had this happen to them? Should I just take it to a camera repair shop? Should I take it to any camera repair shop or should I look for one that specializes in digital cameras?

I really need to get my camera fixed soon. This is our only camera and we were going to use it for when the baby comes -which is any day now. I can't believe I dropped my camera I really love this camera. I just hope it can be fixed.

*sighs*
bleueyedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:57 AM   #2

At the time of writing this you are probably not thinking about your camera, more likely breaking your partners hand with that vice like grip that all delivering mothers have.If not quite there yet,sorry, don't know what you could do yourself to fix it but In any event, your camera will not be repaired in time to catch the first moments. Try getting the camera to a repair shop and pleading with them for the use of one of theirs while yours is being fixed. Maybe a display/demonstration model. In the circumstances they might have some sympathy. Offer a deposit/bond, to be refunded once it is safely returned to them. Or borrow from a friend on the understanding that you wouldn't take it into the bathroom. Any of the above I would try first. If you tried tinkering with it yourself you could render it completely useless and waste very precious begging time. Sorry again but this appears your only option in the circumstances.

Hope you get something sorted out, and more importantly, hope everything goes well with the birth.

Congratulations,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:07 AM   #3

You can send it to Minolta in NJ for repair but it will cost you a minimum of $140 and take about 2 to 3 weeksto get back. I dropped my Z1 this summer and dislodged the little mirror in the viewfinder so I know from experience what this entails. Congrats on the new baby. Perhaps a friend or relative has a camera you can borrow until you get yours fixed.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:36 PM   #4

Sure enuf, the day after I broke my camera I was in labor and delivery! LOL Go figure. Evelyn Justine was born on Tuesday, February 8th at 4:01am.

Anyhoo, took my camera in and had to get the lens replaced which cost $120. Got it back in 3 days. So I'mup and runningagain We had to use my advantix camera at the hospital. My mom used her Kodak digital camera too.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Brianna
bleueyedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5

You are welcome, nice to see you could work around the problem temporarily.

Big congratulations to you and yours.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote