Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:11 AM   #1

I have a DiMAGE A200 camera. I have tested the movie recording and found a serious problem with movie sound. Almost all of my movie has the same problem:

-Noticable sound lag
-Big noise level
-CLICKS and DISTORTION

I have an example movie that demostrates all of the problems:
http://www.megalith.hu/PICT0071.MOV

(This MOV file is 6MB!)

Is this a common problem? Is there any solution or firmware upgrade?

Thanks,
Gabor
nokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:28 AM   #2
sae

I did notice noise and clicks at 640 30 fps. I have seen reports of this problem when recording music. For me, the problem arose when my wife recorded me playing piano.

However, whenwe tried it at 800 15 fps, the noise and clicks were virtually gone. Try 15fps and see how it goes. For me, 15 fps is what I prefer anyway, since the quality difference is not that noticeable (especially at 800x600!), and you can get more on the card that way. All you have to do is remember, when recording music, to switch to 15 fps.

As far as the lag, I have noticed that too, but I believe that it is more related to my PC than the movie file itself. When am running less windows, the lag is basically cured, although not perfect. I'm sure that if we ran it on Big Blue it would run smoothly...

Please let me know how your experimenting goes - and if the 15 fps works for you.

Steve
sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:07 AM   #3

Thanks, I will try that!
nokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

nokker wrote:
Quote:
I have a DiMAGE A200 camera. I have tested the movie recording and found a serious problem with movie sound. Almost all of my movie has the same problem:

-Noticable sound lag
-Big noise level
-CLICKS and DISTORTION

I have an example movie that demostrates all of the problems:
http://www.megalith.hu/PICT0071.MOV

(This MOV file is 6MB!)

Is this a common problem? Is there any solution or firmware upgrade?
got it too... every few seconds the sound drops out, clicks, distorts... pretty crappy. doesnt matter what resolution or FPS i use, actually i get the prob almost always with 800x600 @ 15fps. i assume its dependant on the speed of the memory card, i've only got a 1gb Ultra card, so, ... will see if the UltraII helps out at all.
glenneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:24 AM   #5

Perhaps do a conversion? I don't know if this will help but your .MOV files will convert easily to .avi using the download at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4com2avi/

My QuickTime is up the creek anyway and won't load properly, so this was an easy way out for me. My movie files seem OKafter conversionbut maybe I've just not looked hard enough for clicks etc.

My camera: A200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few minutes later: I did the conversion of PICT0071.MOV to .avi -the clicks seem to be there still. Anyway - it's a handy way of converting the original .mov files.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6
stk

Phranque,

The link doesn't seem to work!

I also have an A200. I have the sync problem but don't seem to suffer from noticable clicks.

I did suffer from noise from the Autofocus if in use (use manual if its a nuisance) and image stabilisation causes noise too if its running (generally turn that off)

Steve

stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:31 PM   #7

My apologies, stk - I put an 'o' instead of an 'a' in 'cam:

This should be right, or I'll eat my camera strap:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:46 PM   #8
stk

hi Phranque

Had a look, seems a great little program. Thanks for the link.

Looking at the delay between sound and video, I wonderwhetherthe author may come up with a feature to slip the time. Seems possible with the features the program has. I'm looking at whether I can produce an application to do this myself, but don't hold your breath.

Cheers

Steve

stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:06 PM   #9

stk wrote:
Quote:
hi Phranque

Had a look, seems a great little program. Thanks for the link.

Looking at the delay between sound and video, I wonder whether the author may come up with a feature to slip the time. Seems possible with the features the program has. I'm looking at whether I can produce an application to do this myself, but don't hold your breath.
doesn't just seem like a good program, works wonders! either MOV is flawed, a crappy codec, or my old quicktime player bites, either way why is Minolta spitting out bad MOVs that we have to edit afterwards? where's quality control?

anyways, after converting all my MOVs to XviD or DivX the prob disappears.. too bad it won't export to other codecs like Huffy (or whatever i have installed on my system).

Does anyone know what quality level the MOVs are encoded at? audio and video-wise?

--
fotos> glenneroo.com
films> glenneroo.org
glenneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:39 AM   #10

stk:

Hi, I'm MP4Cam2AVI author (found this thread via google )

Tell me more about audio-video lag:

1.what camera do you use

2 .What audio option is set in Mp4Cam2AVI

glenneroo:

Sorry, my app doesn't convert mov's to DivX, this option is for MPEG4 input files only With photo- MOV files, target avi files contain MJPEG video, the same as the input, video quality is not reduced.

After conversion, you can use VirtualDub to compress them to DivX or XivD.

graywolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote