Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:25 PM   #1

Default heat for cf cards

every one knows the memory card will get quite hot for continuous shooting. Many of my friends reported cf card being damaged by the heat while micro-drive being more endurant. I notice that type 1 cf card is thinner than micro-drive so I can add a heat sink on my cf card to carry some of the away. My concern is the way this is going to affect the temp of the CCD. Will conducting the heat away from cf card to the rest of the camera increase the temp of the CCD chamber? This is very dependent on the construction of the camera. So any expert can answer my question?

nick
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:46 PM   #2
NHL

nickfanmn

Where are you conducting the heat away from? unless your heatsink stick out from the camera door... and putting a dent in your palm while holding the camera. The whole magnesium alloy camera is a heatsink!

Beside the microdrive will be much hotter than a CF flash card, and they are designed for it. Try the microdrive in a laptop, and I'll bet you you can't hold it your hand afterward... The camera is designed with power saving feature for theses devices already. Check the CF specs, but I believe they all have a sleep state and the power rails are controlled.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:31 PM   #3

i see a metal strip at one side of the memory card slot but there is a gap between it and the cf card. so i think if i put a copper strip to fill in the gap between cf card and this metal strip, the heat can be more easily conducted away. so there is more conduction from the cf card to the body.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:56 PM   #4

Default Re: heat for cf cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfanmn
Many of my friends reported cf card being damaged by the heat while micro-drive being more endurant
This is a quite serious affirmation , IMO, I would need something to support this.
How does one know that the CF is damaged by heat?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:02 PM   #5

my friends use many DC's (nikon. cannon, fuji, minolta), but only for minolta d7(i) did they get damaged cards (several, one after the other), well they said the problematic cards are relative cheap and more expensive ones (esp fast cards) seem not to have the problem. But the fact is D7(i) does produce more heat than others. If you take a lot of continuous shot with raw or tif file, it is possible to heat up your cf card too much. Well, I still love my D7 despite all the problems. My concern is whether adding heat sink will help entend the life-time of cf card while not increasing the ccd's temp.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 1:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfanmn
My concern is whether adding heat sink will help entend the life-time of cf card while not increasing the ccd's temp.
IMHO, it won't be a good idea. sometimes, we trigger on other unexpected problems (not on warranty) trying to do it better.
Let's use it as it is designed, and avoid cheap CF cards. since my CP950, I have 8,16,64,128 cards and not one die yet.They are from Nikon, Lexar, Sandisk and PNY.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 8:57 AM   #7
NHL

If anyone want to see hot, plug the flash card in a PCMCIA adapter in a laptop, and copy huge files to it... That what the flash cards are designed for (ie worst case)!
http://www.compactflash.org/

o -55C to +85C
o 10,000 mating cycles, without exceeding low-level contact resistance, also the wearing female contacts are on the replaceable card side. (did anyone notice where the wear parts are on the Smartmedia, SD, XD, or MemoryStick?)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 9:13 AM   #8

sounds like the same old story. you buy cheap and you get cheap. i have 2 ridata 512MBs and a lend 1GB microdrive. never a glitch on any card. my older 256 cards are in the hands of friends and going strong. these all are so called cerified for use in the D7 series.

we had this discussion once about too many no name mfgrs out there now in the CF field putting out marginal product. that is why there are warrantees. it fails send it back. as long as the product you use the card on conforms to the CF standard there should be no issue and warrenty claims should be no issue.

shove anything into your CF slot other than what it is designed to take and kiss your warrenty goodbye.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote