Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

Hi, On my vacaction I ran into a problem with my Z3 camera. Has this ever happened to anyone? 3 time when using my camera the Z3 would freeze up. It would stay on the main menu. I could not turn the camera off or on, could not focus no functions would work. The only way I could get the camera unstuck was to open the battery compatment door and then shut it. Then it would work fine for awhile. I did notice that the camera felt warm everytime it locked up.Do I have a problem with my camera or is it something simple I have to do. Any help with this problem I would love help on. Thank you.

Dan
dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Administrator

Dan:

Konica-Minolta hadsome problems with the original firmware (which is like the camera's internal operating system) in the Z3. One of the more frequently reported problems was lockups, requiring removal of the batteries (usually when using it in continuous mode).

This problem was corrected with a new, user installable firmware upgrade. If you're not running firmware version 1.02, then the upgrade may correct it. KM noted it as follows:

Quote:
3. System error appears or operation of switches is not accepted when capturing continuously

Firmware Updates for Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z3

If you click on the firmware link for your operating system, you'll see another link to download instructions (which also explains how to check your camera's current firmware version).

If you are already running the current firmware, then it will probably need to be exchanged or serviced.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

mine did the same thing a few times in the first day or two, but hasn't done it since then. makes me think i was doing something wrong when i first got the camers
DigiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:09 AM   #4

Jim, Thanks for the imformation. My camera does have the 1.01u version. I downloaded the 1.02u update file on to my computer. I do not know how to get the update onto my camera from there. I tried conecting my camera to my computer through the usb port. I am running win xp. Can you give me a detailed way to update my camera? Thank you so much. I am sorry but I am new at this computer stuff.

Dan
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Administrator

Dan:

When you first click on a link to the firmware, you'll see where it says to "clickherefor software installation guide".

Here is the direct link to the instructions:

Firmware Installation Instructions

Basically, when you download the firmware update and double click on it, it will create two files on your PC (RAM.BIN and DSC.APP).

These two files must be copied to the root directory (not the DCIM folder) of a Secure Digital Card. If you have a card reader, that's the preferred method of copying the files. If not, then your camera should also show up as a removable drive. So, you can simply copy the files to it that way.

If you're not familiar with the concepts of copying files between folders, you may want to see if someone can give you a hand with it.

After copying the files (and Konica-Minolta recommends that you use the "safely remove hardware" icon before removing the camera), it's simply a matter of holding down the shutter button while turning on your camera.

The camera will see the two files on the Secure Digital Card as a firmware update, and automatically install it.

Chances are, this is your problem (needs the new firmware). I've seen a number of users reporting lockups indicate that the firmware update fixed it (no further lockups after installing it).
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6

Jim, I followed your instructions and my Z3 updated to the 1.02u version. I hope that will be the end of the lock up problems. I can not THANK YOU enough for all your help!!!!! It was really nice of you to help me out. THANKS again for all your help!!!!!

Dan
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Administrator

dekelsey61 wrote:
Quote:
Jim, I followed your instructions and my Z3 updated to the 1.02u version. I hope that will be the end of the lock up problems. I can not THANK YOU enough for all your help!!!!! It was really nice of you to help me out. THANKS again for all your help!!!!!

Dan

No problem Dan... I hope that solves it.

I'd "stress test" the camera to make sure. Use it for a while and make sure it warms up good... Take lots of photos (making sure to use continuous mode to "rapid fire" a lot of photos). ;-)

This should stress the I/O to the Memory Card. I suspect that some kind of buffer overrun was the problem with the original firmware, with the update improving the "handshaking" to the card (speculation on my part, since the probem seemed to be easily reproducable by some users when using continuous mode with the original firmware).

I've seen some users reporting that lockups occured without using continuous mode, when they had the camera set to "Fine Quality" (which would produce larger files) and took lots of photos in a row. The update corrected their lockups, too.

Added:

Dan, I see that you posted the same question in the Konica Minolta Forum. So, I'll move thisthread there now, and then "merge" the two posts together. That way, other Z3 users will see the responses if they visit that forum.

Let us know if that solves it or not.

Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:58 PM   #8

Jim, I took 31 pictures in a little more than 1 minute in the continuous mode like you said. I thought that was enough pictures in a short peroid of time to really test the system. The Z3 work perfectly through out the whole test. No signs of lock up at all!! Upgdating to the 1.02u version must have done the trick. When I was having problems with the 1.01u version I did have my camera set in the "Fine" Mode like you said there may be a problem. I also was shooting in the "Single" frame mode also. Thanks again for all your help. Hope all this imformation helps other people that might be having the same problems I had.

Dan

Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:22 AM   #9

I've got one lockup till this time with a firmware 1.02. It's happend to me after I've left camera for several minutes and first it go to sleep mode, later I've make one shot and camera was locked up, camera doesn't react for any buttons, the only thing I can do is to take away batteries.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote