Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:19 PM   #21

In this shot, light had almost faded completely & with the DMF mode that I had learnt to use during the afternoon's shot, I manually focused to infinity when the camera failed to focus lock.

During this process, the EVF magnifies the image so under these conditions, what you see is pretty much useless.

I later read & confirmed that if you keep the shutter 'half depressed' after approximately 1 second it reverts back to full size so you can recompose your picture & press the shutter button all the way home.

Yes, there are ways around the problem, but the number of problems that I was experiencing were growing to the point that when Minolta suggested that my A200 was probably defective, I decided to return it to the store.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:24 PM   #22
mon

can see the pic problem did you take the same shot with the fuji
mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:03 PM   #23

mon wrote:
Quote:
crist i am stck now wot cam is good then at same price i am confused as a baby racoon s7000 is deleted now can get for 320 a200 has the focas thing ( auto ) also do you think the a200 is a quick* realease and will be replaced quick due to these problems
Mon,
You may be interested to read the following excerpt from a thread on another camera forum:

"According to the March issue of the french magazine "Réponses Photo", KM will announce at the PMA not only one but TWO new bridge cameras extending the Ax serie."

If this is true, you may be better waiting for a week until PMA. I would hope that, with any new model, Konica Minolta will have addressed the ongoing focus, etc problems we're hearing about.

I've been watching this thread and Catbells' experiences with great interest because I am very close to buying the KM A200. Except for the focus problems, I think everything else the camera offers is just what I'm looking for. The next week should be very interesting.

Boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:00 PM   #24

mon wrote:
Quote:
can see the pic problem did you take the same shot with the fuji
No, on a 10 mile hike it would have been too bulky to have taken both.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:47 PM   #25
mon

same here close to buying one .. so do you think the a200 will get replaced soon it just come out
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:27 PM   #26

Boreas wrote:
Quote:
I've been watching this thread and Catbells' experiences with great interest because I am very close to buying the KM A200. Except for the focus problems, I think everything else the camera offers is just what I'm looking for. The next week should be very interesting.
Read the thread concerning Colour Problems - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20- and DP Review's comments before finally making up you mind.

DP Review
It's a pity Konica Minolta still hasn't nailed the AWB problem, and - given that we saw occasional white balance problems even outdoors on a clear day - I'd recommend using the presets (or custom mode) - or even white balance bracketing - when color fidelity is important.

Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:07 PM   #27

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Read the thread concerning Colour Problems - and DP Review's comments before finally making up you mind.DP Review
It's a pity Konica Minolta still hasn't nailed the AWB problem, and - given that we saw occasional white balance problems even outdoors on a clear day - I'd recommend using the presets (or custom mode) - or even white balance bracketing - when color fidelity is important.
Catbells,

I guess when you examine all the problems (with any 6 to 8 MP digicam so far), none of them are perfect. To me it 's a matter of what I can live with and what I can't.

Using presets to get around problems with white balance, for example, I can live with. However, your experience of colour problems with panoramas is another issue, also focus problems.

When I started this search, I wanted to go with Canon or Olympus, but I did not like the ergonomics, lens length, and some other issues of the C8080 and the Pro 1. After trying the A200, I was very happy with its handling and its wide range of settings to establish your ideal saturation, softness, etc. The Anti-Shake is also important for me--as I've gotten older (although I'm not that old), I've developed a bit of a shake in my hands and find it difficult to hold the camera steady, especially at slower shutter speeds. The Anti-Shake does wonders!

But if there are major problems with the model's design and quality control, then a firmware update, an updated model, or even a new model from another manufacturer may be the answer. I'm in no real hurry.

I don't expect the same quick response and noise-free quality as I would get from a dSLR for the money I would be paying, but I would like a certain level of dependability. And its not just Konica Minolta--over in the Olympus forum on this website, you also find discussions of people experiencing problems with focus, etc.

Even high-priced cameras aren't perfect--over the years I've owned and worked with Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Mamiya and Hasselblad systems (35mm and medium format)--and every camera had its idiosyncracies. In my Hasselblad, for example, I found its viewfinder system almost unuseable (very dark, hard to focus, vignetting). You'd think for the price of those cameras, you would expect perfection.

Now with digital cameras being updated or replaced every 6 months, the camera designs never have the chance to be refined before they are replaced. So we have to bite the bullet at some point and just buy the one that does the best job for you at the time.

It's a challenge, but it's interesting and a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll end up buying something within the next month (after we hear from PMA), and will fully enjoy the chance to explore new photographic opportunities--that's the most important part--until something substantially better comes along and its time to upgrade again.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:21 PM   #28

mon wrote:
Quote:
same here close to buying one .. so do you think the a200 will get replaced soon it just come out
Mon,
The A200 has been out for about 6 months now, but it's hard to say what Konica Minolta will do. If the A200 is replaced or updated or even a firmware update, we all gain by it. Prices are dropping, capabilities are increasing. Now if they can just refine quality control and fix the ongoing problems, then I would have no problem putting down the $1000 (CDN) for a camera like the A200 (or A300??).
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:08 PM   #29
mon

wot is PMA you got site link
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:06 PM   #30

mon wrote:
Quote:
wot is PMA* you got site link
PMA is the International Photo Marketing Association's Convention and Trade Show (held annually) -- this year in Orlando, Florida from Feb. 20 to 23. You can go to the top of Steve's Digicams site at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

Select Breaking News. Scroll down the news page and you'll see links to camera news reports and to the PMA 2005 Report.

On the PMA page Steve also has a couple of links to other PMA report sites:

http://www.pma-show.com/

http://www.photographyblog.com/pma_2005.php

There will be many new camera announcements over the next week (and the past few weeks) leading up to PMA 2005 and at the show itself.