Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:33 AM   #1
mon

:|whitch is the better camra the a200 is about £70 more stuck between them both
mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Do you know how 'old' the 7000 is? Maybe call it outdated?
redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3
mon

about a year
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:31 PM   #4

mon wrote:
Quote:
Which is the better camera the a200 is about £70 more stuck between them both
Given my recent experience with the A200, I say that you'd have less focus issues with the Fuji; read the review at DP Review - it sums up the focus issue.

The image resolution of the A200 is better than my Fuji S602 - can't speak for the 7000.

Indoor low light focusing is about the same for both which is not good.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:54 PM   #5

I think the focus problems are less of an issue than some suggest. Only ony or two reviewers seem to have an issue with this, loads of people are saying no issues at all. I have mine for a week, made about 500 shots, most of them acceptable to very sharp. The others were all due to very low (< 1/15) shutterspeeds (it's kind of really bad and dark weather overhere).

I have no complaints so far!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:56 PM   #6
mon

wot cam is that you have? you did not say in last post
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:26 AM   #7

A200.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:40 AM   #8

redSP wrote:
Quote:
I think the focus problems are less of an issue than some suggest. Only only or two reviewers seem to have an issue with this, loads of people are saying no issues at all. I have mine for a week, made about 500 shots, most of them acceptable to very sharp. The others were all due to very low (< 1/15) shutter speeds (it's kind of really bad and dark weather over here).

I have no complaints so far!
Don't be mislead. When I read the DP Review I thought that it was over the top in criticising the A200 BUT on a bright sunshine, albeit slightly hazy day, I got more focus lock failures in an afternoon than I ever have had with the Fuji S602 in 2 years - & I'm not joking. If the S602 failed - usually due to too much sky in the frame, then simply repositioning the focus frame ALWAYS worked.

Sadly, with the A200 this could NOT be achieved in a considerable number of focus lock failures. On one typical scene - see the thread that I started http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20- DMF was used to force the lens to infinity.

Was it a fault with the camera - possibly - but read the DP Review & you'll possibly come to the same conclusion that I did - so the A200 went back despite the fact that I really liked everything else about it.

DP Review comments
As mentioned above we found the focus system of the A200 to be just as unreliable as the A2 - whether insisting on locking on some tiny piece of foreground detail (a twig at the edge of the frame for example) or simply missing focus altogether, the A200 fails to focus correctly too often for a camera in this class.

It's a pity Konica Minolta still hasn't nailed the AWB problem, and - given that we saw occasional white balance problems even outdoors on a clear day.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:38 AM   #9
mon

read the last thread so is there a major porblem with this cam or is it just a one off or is it better for me too get the s7000
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:30 AM   #10

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
- so the A200 went back despite the fact that I really liked everything else about it.
Did you return it to Minolta for repair, or return it to the store and start your search again? An earlier thread sounded like you were sending it in for repair.

Mike
blckthree is offline   Reply With Quote