Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:50 AM   #11

The A2 is my first real digital camera and I'm not that experienced with traditiopnal photography terms and exposure stuff but I have to say that with the wide variety of options the A2 offers I'm rather impressed how fast I'm picking things up. I tend to think this is from the way the A2 is set up. It seems concise and makes sense. So far no problems!
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:07 PM   #12

Hi,

Much thanks for your thoughts which are appreciated. Your point that the camera is not overwhelming is important.

Richard
richardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:06 PM   #13

Try out Neat Image as well as Noise Ninja. I actually chose Neat Image because not only could you use and make camera profiles, but you could auto-profile most photos - and even sections regions of them on the fly. That made it suit my workflow better. Both seemed fast enough to not notice any big difference in that respect. I am also exploring its selective sharpening abilities, after discovering it was also fantastic at beautifying skin tones ; }
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:09 PM   #14

I too continue to be attracted to the A2 in spite of a bunch of new product announcements. It and a 2x extender and maybe an A200-style LCD swivel would put me into my current Nirvana of a fairly versatile long zoomer with stabilization. I still may pull the trigger on one after a week with the Panasonic FZ20 my precedences have become clearer. Imatest results seem in line with what my eyes have noticed...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:25 AM   #15

Thanks. Does this mean that you have the FZ20 and you are thinking that you should have gone the A2 route?

Richard
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:25 AM   #16

Thanks. Does this mean that you have the FZ20 and you are thinking that you should have gone the A2 route?

Richard
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:08 AM   #17

Hi richardi,

I had the FZ20 for a week and took a beating in a real big painfest over in the Panasonic forum for listing what I liked and what I didn't like and why. Got to watch oput for people like those ; } ...I returned the FZ20 because it just wasn't the right balance of performance compromises for me - much of that to do with color hue inaccuracy, but not only.

It's a pretty good camera if that doesn't bother you, and until recentlynot much else but KMs competing with it in the big zoom IS game at 5 or under megapixels. And the actually more pleasing color work the Canon IS does, but only 3.2. But between the Z5 and the A200 or A2 I'm sure I'll be satisfied (unless I can wait long enough to check out revies on the announced-for-June Sony H1). Minolta has taken some perceptual damage on the quality control front and it perhaps influenced me to go for the FZ20. But it's always looked to me like Minolta were having a lot of good ideas, and valuing some of the good OLD ideas as well, without forcing one up into DSLR prices and bulk.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:38 AM   #18

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. You are right about the A2 - it took some nasty hits from reviewers but overtime the problems seemed to have worked out. The features tend to exceed those of other cameras in its class.

My tendency is to go for it.

Richard
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:10 AM   #19

I use my A2 on movie sets & in theaters to shoot photos for advertising and public relations.

In the nine months I've owned it I've shot over 10,000 photos for performing arts clients.

My experience: I would NEVER trust it for fast moving / one time events like weddings or sports. It's auto focus just can't be relied on to deliver.

For my movie set & theater work I stick it on a tripod and use either manual focus or Flex Focus and shoot slowly. I have learned to pay attention to the image on the nano technology electronic viewfinder and watch for the auto focus to go "nuts". If it does I reshoot until I have the scene covered.

My wish list for an A3:

-> All the features of the A2 with an articulated LCD (even though I almost never shoot with it).

-> Pay the fee to license Write Acceleration.

-> MUCH less noise at ISO 400 and 800.

-> Write the camera's orentation correctly in EXIF (now everything is Top Left).

-> Get the prototype into hands of working photographers, not reviewers or engineers so as to get real world feedback.

-> Include in the manual instructions on how to Flash update the camera's computer.

-> Provide some sort of Focus Assist light. In low light situations like parties the camera takes WAY too long to find focus, although it somehow usually does.

-> Have the flash taller. Red eye is a real problem with the A2 built in flash.

-> Finally, get rid of the proprietary hot shoe - this world doesn't need another "standard"!!

See some of my work with my A2 on the set of a forthcoming feature film "Psychopathia Sexualis": http://www.psychopathia.com

Later,

Terry

TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:29 AM   #20

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. Aside from its shortcomings are you satified?

Richard