Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:21 AM   #1

After months of zeroing in on the camera to invest in, the A2 was my choice (not the A200). I would have leaped after a A1 with the A2 features. I am willing to pay for quality; not production/service shortcomings. I have to stop and wonder what is going on at (Konica) - Minolta when after only 11 months or so it pulls the A2 "its Flagship" from the market. I am sure some dealers still have the camera in stock but the main ones that I relate to indicate they have had it with the camera and are moving on... even if only a few weeks ago they were promoting the virtues of the A2. Only 2 weeks ago, I communicated to my network of contacts that I think I finally found the camera I wanted after months of investigation (although the 8 mega is too much) and that I could recommend to them. I was ready to buy but not now.

Sure cost is a consideration but give me a reliable camera with the features I want (the right feel, the manual zoom, the EVF or exceptional optical viewer, with back up support and service) and I will invest. It does little to promote confidence in a camera or the company when a professional reviewer had to note in his remarks that it took him two or three A2 cameras before he found the one that works to his expectations.

It appears that the problems with the A2 camera became too much for Konica-Minolta to deal with leaving its supporters learning to live with the pain/pleasure of owning the camera. I wonder, too, if the A200 is the answer. I have my doubts. Bring on the next version and I hope Konica-Minolta gets it right this time. A quality A1 (with 5 mega, with excellent battery life, the manual zoom, the top level EVF or SLR like viewfinder that keeps the noise levels down) with an OK LCD is what I want. Am I asking too much ?????

Richard
richardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:36 AM   #2

If you want a great viewfinder and low noise you should consider a DSLR. They have entry-level models that work well.

Nobody ever makes a perfect camera. I thought the A2 had fewer compromises than most. My biggest disappointment is that Minolta went back to a lower quality viewfinder. I had hoped that other companies would compete with high quality EVFs, but it seems people are happy with lower quality.

Viewed at the same size do you really see that much more noise in A2 images compared to A1? If you view them 100% to look for noise you will find it. But that is really blowing the image up to see more noise. Put to the same use like a large print or viewed at the same size I don't see the noise as being that objectionable in comparison. I have a wide format photo printer and 8Mp will give a better 13 X 19 than a 5Mp image. If the subject causes visible noise in a large print it is pretty easy to eliminate it. I prefer noise reduction in a Photoshop plug-in rather than a freestanding program, but there are several that work well. I'm not about to print a 13 X 19 from a prosumer camera with a tiny sensor without some post processing in any case, so removing any objectionable noise is just another step. It doesn't usually show on smaller prints or viewed with the entire picture on the screen in a viewer.

Minolta moved to a cheaper camera in the A200. Except for the viewfinder it seems to do most things almost as well and it will be a good buy when the price gets a little lower. They might not mess with a flagship prosumer camera again now that they have the 7D.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

richardi wrote:
Quote:
going on at (Konica) - Minolta when after only 11 months or so it pulls the A2 "its Flagship" from the market. I am sure some dealers still have the camera in stock but the main ones that I relate to indicate they have had it with the camera and are moving on... even if only a few weeks ago they were promoting the virtues of the A2.
Quote:
It appears that the problems with the A2 camera became too much for Konica-Minolta to deal with leaving its supporters learning to live with the pain/pleasure of owning the camera. I wonder, too, if the A200 is the answer.
Richard
Richard,

I bought a new A2 last week at newegg. What problems with the A2? I hear lots of talk, but in the week I've used this thing, I don't see those problems, and I've been trying to find them!

Every manufacturer out there decomissions cameras quickly. I think about the only exceptions are the newer low end DSLRs (Rebel, D70).

The A2 simply has far too many options for most users, and that explains why KM is dropping it more quickly I suspect. I cannot give this camera to my wife to use even occassionally--she'll hand it back to me (too big and too complicated she says).

You can still find new A2s, but they aren't going to last much longer. The bright side is that you can buy a new A2 cheaper than ever if you can find it. If you know you want an A2, foroget about KM not producing them anymore. They'll fix if it needs fixing.

Otherwise, your only option is a DSLR unless KM announces the A3.

Steve
Steve West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4

Hi Steve,

Thanks for information.
Richard
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:36 PM   #5

Slipe,

Thanks for the information.
Richard
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:02 PM   #6

Steve West wrote:
Quote:
I bought a new A2 last week at newegg. What problems with the A2? I hear lots of talk, but in the week I've used this thing, I don't see those problems, and I've been trying to find them!

Hi Steve, nice to see you got your A2 and you are enjoying it.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:10 PM   #7

I also just my new A2 and I love it! Models change everyday so who knows why KM changed( or if they even did).
I'm impressed with the versitility of the A2.
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:28 PM   #8

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I wish you well with the camera. I would appreciate knowing how it goes over the next few days in terms of learning curve and any difficulties.

Richard
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:12 AM   #9

The A2 is a great choice. I've heard that there have been some quality issues, but I must say, I've never had a problem with mine. The electronic viewfinder is sensational, IS, and an excellent lens with a good range. And of course, the ability to shoot raw. I get terrific images. If I had a wish list, it would allow quicker writing to disk of raw files - though I wonder if one of the trick new "fast" cards might help. It'd also be nice if the back LCD would articulate so that one can take pictures with the camera held overhead (A200 has that, I guess, the A2 doesn't). Yes, noise is a problem at higer ISOs, but again, I haven't tried Noise Ninja's new PS Plugin. That might help. In all, I'm extremely pleased with mine. If I sell it, it will be forced only by the need for another lens for my 20d, not because I don't like this camera. Apart from taking the plunge for a DSLR, the A2 is a solid choice, in my opinion.
DanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:47 AM   #10

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the letter and recommendation.

Richard