Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1

I am looking for a digital camera for my friend who wants to get started in photography, and I am down to the Z2 or Z1. I can find refurbed Z1s for about 180 bucks, while new Z2s are at least $100 more. I have used a Z2 some, so I know what it has to offer, and what features does it have that the Z1 lacks? Besides the .8 of a megapixel, and the 800x600 movie mode. . .its pretty much a Z1 with a KM logo slapped on the front. . .right?
Also, is refurbed trustworthy?
Thanks
max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:10 AM   #2

I think the Z2 has the "GT" lens, so CA should be a bit less obvious. Otherwise, I think you're right--the Z1 has 3.2 megapixels but is otherwise very similar. (I'm very happy with my Z1 after almost a year.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3

Well besides the z2'sGT Lens 12x Zoom instad of the z1's 10x Zoom and the fact that the z2 is a 4MP Camera. There is the simple fact that the z2 has an unauthorized RAW Firmware, that evern the z3 doesn't even have.

At the time I purchaesd my z1, back in December! the z2 was only like €60.00(EUR) more! I wish I had, had this info back then I would have bought the z2 eventhough the z1 was 'Red-Lining' my budget at that time.

So there's always that feature to consider....

....Then again with all the problems I had with my z1 with Dead-Pixels (on the first Camera), and having to send the Second Camera bac to Konica-Minolta back becuse of a new combination of Dead Pixels and captured gunk inside the Lens I'm not even sure that, it would be wise to run that hack right away of course. On the whole of it the z1 is a GREAT CAMERA!! :|but, beware there must have been a bad batch of 'em. and then there's the horror stories of the Switchfinder LCD to concider to. I love my z1 all the same. But knowing what I know now I think I would take a pass on the z1 and z2 I hear that the z3 and z5 actually have a seperate EVF from the LCD this issurely a step into the right direction though...

But for it's price and with full PASM control and the Hotshoe which only works with certain KM ONLY Flashes!! There really isn't any other Camerathat can get near the z1 (that I'm currently aware of!), thatcan match the price - preformance of the z1 add.8MP and optional RAW (thuss removeing ECO as if there was any justificatin for ECO!), forsomething on the oder of €60.00(EUR), and the z2 becomes that Camera!
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:02 AM   #4

Z2's zoom is 10x; Z3's zoom is 12x.

Economy mode is kind of useless now with the low price of high-capacity SD cards, so yes, the tradeoff to get RAW on the Z2 would be worthwhile. I'd be quite happy with a little firmware update for the Z1 that would put small "horizon marks" about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the finder--I have a devil of a time holding the camera level sometimes! (I could score a couple of lines on the back of the camera, I know, but I use the finder in "eyepiece" mode about 99% of the time.)
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

I guess I will get the Z1 then. . .but all I can find anymore is refurbed ones. . .and since no one commented on my thread about reburbed cameras, I think I will stay from them:lol:.
I guess Wal Mart has new ones for like $220, but I could ALMOST get a Z2 for that price. . .well, not really
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:06 PM   #6

One more thing, for any Z1 owners out there . . . How many pics do you get on a 256MB or 128MB SD card, shooting at "fine" mode? Would just one 256MB be enough for anyone who wasn't shooting 500 pics a a day? :G
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:39 PM   #7

My Z1 says 155 pictures at full (2048x1536) size with Fine compression on a 256MB card. That will vary with image complexity, though--figure around 150, anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:27 PM   #8

okay, thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:53 PM   #9

I owned a z2 for 8 months....great camera. Didn't have problems with it. I think that if the difference between prices is so little, just get the z2. What happens you ever perhaps took a beautiful picture and wanted to blow it up and put it on your wall....too bad, you chose the z1! I think that that would just limit you in the end. The Z2 was greatat teaching me to be a good photographer.

I now have an A2.
photo_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:31 AM   #10

The Z1 will do 8x10" nicely. I've been taking pictures as a hobbyfor almost 23 years(Pentax MG, Canon AE-1, now the Z1), and have only enlarged a photo bigger than 8x10" once. (If you want to go bigger than 8x10", the 0.8-MP difference the Z2 offers won't get you much bigger anyway.)