Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 23, 2002, 9:12 PM   #1

Default Does This Look Right to You?

Took my 7Hi to the local hockey area and took some action shots using the 5600HS. This is a first for me, and I'm not sure about the correct settings for the 7Hi or the 5600. Take a look at this shots perhaps you can advise.

Settings used for 7Hi: Shutter Priority (1/750 sec - 1/1500 sec)
WB: Tungsten ISO 800
150 - 200 mm zoom

I was standing about 30 feet away from the action, was wondering what the settings for the flash should have been. The shots look quite dull. Is this the norm?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fd03a31b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fd03a34d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/fd03a296.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fd03a29a.jpg
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Don

There isn't any combination of setting on the 7i that will offer much improvement. You are simply beyond the working range of the rather weak built in flash. If you look at page 66 of the manual you will see that at telephoto lens settings the maximum range of the flash is 19.6 feet at the ISO 800 setting. You should also note that when the camera sensitivity is set to auto, the ISO is set between 100 and 200 so the maximum range would be 9.8 ft with the lens set to a telephoto setting.

If you want to get good flash pictures beyond these distance limits you will have to set the ISO level manually, probably go to full manual exposure, and use a more powerful external flash. So far there seem to be only Minolta and Sigma flash units that work with the 7 series cameras and allow some automation, but they are all expensive. You can buy a special adaptor to allow the use of regular flash units with the 7 series cameras, if you already have one, but the cost of the adaptor is about $100 U$A. If you don't already have a good external flash unit the just bite the bullet and buy a Minolta or Sigma flash that is designed to work with the camrea. There are plenty of postings in this forum about these flash units so look some of them up.

Let us see a couple of pictures after you add the external flash.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:45 PM   #3

Thanks, Don. These shots were taken with my 5600HS. I'm still learning how to use it. I was about 30 feet away and the zoom setting on the 5600 said "1.5 to 28 m"
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:49 AM   #4

Steve Z,
I don't know what lightning it have there, but I think you don't have the right WB IMO.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 3:40 AM   #5

I agree with Kcan - the pics are mostly BLUE. You have to check the lightsource - probably it is FLOURESCENT.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 3:43 AM   #6

why would you use the tungsten setting with a strobe? the output of the flashes color temp is up near daylight as is.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:32 AM   #7
NHL

My 2c:

1. Like sjms says the 5600HS flash is daylight not tungsten...

2. You should not have to use 1/750 to 1/1500 shutter speed. In most situation the flash pulse is several magnitude shorter than the shutter speed and should freeze the action by itself! in which case a lower shutter speed (1/60 to 1/250) will mix in the ambient fluorescent lighting which will then require the WB adjustment! (dependent on your exposure and flash output)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:16 AM   #8

NHL, SJMS:

So if I understand you correctly next time I attempt shooting action in this arena I should:

a) Use Auto WB instead of Tungsten
b) Use a slower shutter speed

A slower shutter speed would allow me to use a lower ISO setting also, right?

What about the 5600 flash and its power output? I wasn't sure which mode/settings to use.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:41 AM   #9

with a strobe yes and anything above 1/60, 1/90, and 1/125 should freeze things reasonably. each time you go up you if you want to maintain DOF you must compensate or use the S and let the camera compensate auto then of couse your strobe range also will vary. for hockey i would not rely on the AF- too slow. its time to get to know the DOF of the lens and zone focus.

you have a lots of options

just an opinion
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:46 AM   #10

Question is: How do I get maximum output from the 5600 at a shooting range of approximately 30 - 50 ft?